Chapter 15: Groups

Start from the beginning

"I know. I know. It's a boring topic because you have heard enough of it from your parents and your last society teacher but they become more and more important nowadays. Especially after some groups took over the task of keeping up the spells that hide our world form the human one. Does anyone know the names of the group,  who currently have this task?", Mr. Kim asked the class, scanning over his students for a moment.

A girl with green hair raised her hand. "Yes, Akira", the teacher said and looked at the girl. "Currently the Got7 group takes care of this task the most but the groups NCT, Seventeen and K.A.R.D are also considered to be the guardians of our world", Akira answered with a proud smile on her lip. She was one of the best students of the class but unlike Hyunjin and Seungmin, who also had very good grades, she prided herself with those numbers on a sheet of paper.

"Perfect answer, Akira", Mr. Kim praised and smiled lightly,  which revealed his dimples. "And why is it so special that groups like that take care of the spell that keeps our society hidden? I think Jaemin can answer this", the teacher said and looked at a male with dark hair with flowers in it, who sat in the first row. Na Jaemin was a naiad and also a pretty good student.

"Because no member of these groups is older than thirty. Some are even still in school or university, making them the youngest guardian groups in history", Jaemin answered while a proud smile made its way onto the male's lips.

"Correct. Now the golden question. Who of you is already in a group?", Mr. Kim questioned, looking into the class. Nearly the whole class raised their hand. Jisung, Seungmin, Felix, Jeongin and Hyunjin along with two girls didn't. This was a little bit sad if you took into consideration that the class had 24 students and only seven weren't in a group.

"That are a lot", Mr. Kim commented with a whistle. "Swearing loyalty to a group is a big step but you all know that, right? Still the question why someone would do that is a little difficult to answer because everybody has their own reason to do so. Does anyone want to tell the class why they joined their group or why they didn't?", the teacher continued while walking around a little bit.

It was really intriguing to see how Mr. Kim made this lesson interesting. Jisung was surprised to see that even Seungmin seemed to listen to him even though the redhead tended to read in his textbook when the topic groups came up since he already knew a lot about all sorts groups.

A male with violet hair raised his hand. His name was Lee Donghyuck but was better known as the infamous warlock Haechan. He wasn't really known for anything special but he was loud and annoying enough to let everybody in the school know his name.

"Donghyuck", Mr. Kim gave the warlock the permission to talk. "I didn't really join my group because it wasn't really a group yet but I mainly joined because it felt nice having a lot of people around that treat you like you are their brother", Haechan explain rather serious but still with a smile, which surprise nearly the whole class. Mr. Kim nodded in understanding.

"A lot of people join a group because of the feeling of protection they get from it. It's a quite interesting phenomenon because nearly everybody, who is a member of a group will say that their group feels like a family to them", Mr. Kim explained and you could see that he had a little proud smile on his lips, probably because he thought about his own group.

The lesson continued with some more implications from other students, like Lee Junyoung who was a member of the group IZ and Son Dongju, better known as Xion, a member of the group ONEUS. It was also revealed to the whole class that five members of NCT were sitting among them. These were Haechan aka Lee Donhyuck, Na Jaemin, Lui YangYang, a wind mage with dark fluffy hair, Lee Jeno, a typical werwolf and Huang Renjun, a warlock, who a lot of girls claimed looked like an angel. They proudly showed the class their group symbols. Haechan had it on his right shoulder, Jaemin and Renjun on their right wrists, YangYang on his ankle and Jeno on the back of his right hand, which nobody had noticed before due his leather gloves.

The reason why the majority didn't catch onto the fact that they were part of such a famous group was simple, nobody paid attention to it because two years ago NCT wasn't that big of a deal. It was a simple group founded by students and teenagers. Now a lot of people regretted not having paid attention to them sooner since a lot of their groups members were very powerful creatures.

"Alright. We got some important things covered already but we still need to discuss the different types of groups. Can somebody tell me something about that", Mr. Kim continued to talk. Seungmin raised his hand to his friends' surprise.

"Yes, Seungmin", Mr. Kim gave the redhead the allowance to speak. "Beside groups there are also clans, packs, organizations, tribes, shoals and simple families. Clans are pretty common among cat-like hybrids, harpies, banshees and mages of the same element as well as packs are nearly normal for werewolves and all wolf-like hybrids. Organizations were more or less created by vampires and were formerly known as courts but after all vampire courts were united under one pair of noble vampires, who were later crowned to king and queen in the 10th century they decided to rename the structure, in order to be able to still create special groups of just vampires. Therefore vampires are the only known creatures, who are directly born into a group-structure but can still decide to be part of a group or organization when they are old enough. Tribes are similar to clans and common among demi-dragons, fairies, elves, dryads, naiads, warlocks and surprisingly nymphs. Shoals are common among mermaids and creatures, who were loners in the ancient times like gorgons, alas and kitsunes now often live in families with their own kind", Seungmin explained in almost one breath, letting the whole class stare at him in disbelief. Even Mr. Kim seemed stunned for a short moment but then a proud smile made it's way onto his lips.

"Perfectly summarized", Mr. Kim praised the redhead. Jisung could see a faint smug smile on his best friend's face, letting him mentally sigh and wonder why he was even friends with this little show-off. 

They discussed the group structure further and again everybody, who was in a group could explain something from their experience. It was overall nice to listen to the many different little stories. Mr. Kim also gave his students many impulses they could think about. For example, what are the difference between the different group structures nowadays and why the groups who were founded in the last fifteen years just stuck with the term "group" instead of clan, pack, tribe, shoal or organization? This was a somehow tricky question because everybody had a different answer to that.

The bell rang and ended the lesson. All students were a little bit surprised because it didn't feel like a whole hour already passed. Mr. Kim really was a brilliant teacher if he made his students feel like time passed by quickly. 

"We will continue this talk next lesson because you seem quite interested now", Mr. Kim stated with a grin. The whole class just agreed while packing their stuff. The majority of the class fangirled/fanboyed a little bit when they saw how Mr. Kim walked out of the classroom only to be met with the face of his husband but the moment was short lived since they went their way rather quickly.

"Should we go to the cafeteria to meet the hyungs?", Felix asked when the five friends were finished packing their stuff. "What's that even for a question. Of course, let's go", Hyunjin said cheerily and grabbed Felix's hand as well as Jeongin's because they were standing the closest to the siren right now and dragged the two out of the class.

Jisung looked after them with the ghost of a smile on his lips. "We got a bunch of idiots as friends" Seungmin commented with a huff while starting to walk. "At least they are our idiots", the blue-haired male responded and followed the redhead, who lightly laughed at the warlock's comment.