The New Year

"Tell me what's wrong?" My mother asked me the moment I made my way into the kitchen. Her soft brown eyes genuinely looked worried.

It was the first time that she gets to talk to me. My Dad was hospitalized after a minor heart attack. Hard time I must say but it's good that he is home before Christmas that's tomorrow.

"It's nothing, I am just tired," I answered avoiding her gaze as I made my way to the refrigerator for water.

"How's dad doing?" I asked leaning to the refrigerator.

"He is fine. The doctor has asked to make sure he rests well. But can you please stop acting like you were divorced yesterday." She replied bursting out at the end.

My heart sank. Yes, this is her. Always says things without any filter. I can't even hope that she would ever understand me.

"Jane," My mother huffed, "You know that we would always want the best for all of our kids." She added caressing her forehead.

It wasn't the first time when she was telling me this. My parents always wanted their kids to be perfect. And I guess I was a disappointment.

"You should have told me this earlier," I replied.

"You know," She huffed. "...it was right after you getting divorced, and then you announced your departure; it was Jake's idea to not involve you." She replied. Well, my brother was the only one in the house with a little bit of consideration for me. So, it didn't come as a surprise.

"For how long this will go?" I asked,

"I don't know, maybe forever but I am not going to accept the accusation." She replied shrugging. The lines on her forehead had gone deeper. I made my way to give her a side hug. "Everything will be fine," I assured her and only wished that she could ever return the favor.

I was beyond guilty for not being here when my family needed me the most. My mother is a professor in the college was accused of leaking papers. Though it still didn't justify why they never checked on me? But I decided to let it pass.

"You must be tired. Go, get some sleep." She told me. I guess I was getting off the hook.

"You better wear something good tomorrow." I heard her say and nodded before leaving.

Closing the door behind my back made all the memories rush into me. I know it's wrong. I know he is wrong but I can't help feeling his breath on my skin. I can feel so exposed for his grey eyes.

No, no, no Jane. Don't go there. He is a jerk. I chanted but the moment I switched off the lights his hands, and his groans were all too clear. All the times when I was in his arms were being lived and I don't know how long it will take for me to get him out of the system. But a hot tear burning my cheek was telling me that it is not anytime soon.

You know, the times when you feel like you have lost the meaning of life. There is no way to go to. And you start questioning your very existence. Well, it is harder for the person who believes in God. Because if he is out there looking out for us then why I was left out. Abandoned? I tried to find the answers but the harder I try the more I was disappointed. The more my faith was shaking.

The voices downstairs were informing me that my family was up and it was time to play my part. Even lifting my arm was looking like a hard job to do as my mind felt numb and dazed. Mornings were becoming the worst time of the day. I took my time for my morning hygiene and left to greet my family.

"Mom! I couldn't find a blue dress." Evelyn said appearing at the kitchen's door making me stop cutting the vegetables and look at my sister who was soon going to be sixteen. Her blue eyes shone and short black hair was touching her shoulders perfectly.