ACT 3

ACT 3

Throat constricting, hands trembling, strength faltering, the magenta-haired woman forced herself to create as much distance as she could possibly make between herself and the ice cream parlor she was just in a minute or two ago.

Her shoulders bumped into strangers, but she didn't utter even a feeble apology. No, she was too focused in keeping herself from collapsing down on the ground. As much as she could, she kept her will as strong as she could manage.

If anyone were to regard her through her exterior, no one would notice how her façade was so close in shattering and unveiling the truth underneath. All the searing pain Akali's words had caused was agonizing, and it made things difficult in keeping the mask up.

The sketch Akali had created was folded and clutched by her right hand, fingers feeling too weak to crumple the paper. Her strength was just enough to keep it from slipping from her clutch, but despite the parchment being as light as a feather, Evelynn felt like it weighed more than a ton.

Her eyes were glassy, but not a single tear escaped its confines. She wouldn't allow it. One was enough for her, and shedding another felt like she was accepting the fact that Akali didn't want her. Thinking of doing such already immensely weakened her, so she refused.

Evelynn was stubborn, and even though Akali had made it oh so clear that she wanted nothing to do with her, she still had enough fire to fight for what she was told to be the truth. Akali desired for her to be real, yet maybe Zilean had overestimated the level of yearning.

How long could the flame of Evelynn's adamant resolve remain lit before it could be excruciatingly snuffed out by Akali herself?

The shirt, hoodie and the winter jacket Akali had lent her weren't providing enough warmth to fend off the coldness that was consuming her with every minute she spent out on the streets. Regardless, her legs, which were also mildly shaking not only because of the gradually depleting strength of hers but also falling victim to the weather's frigid grasp, pushed through and kept her on her feet.

Evelynn had no destination in mind, so it was purely coincidental that she eventually found herself momentarily stopping right in front of one of the main entrances of Valoran Park. It wasn't the exact place where Akali had been approached by Zilean, but it was an entrance still.

Maybe it wasn't a coincidence at all. Who would know, right?

When she was finally able to remove her gaze from the frost-coated archway spelling 'Valoran Park' with black metal, Evelynn proceeded down the snow-blanketed stone path, mind too preoccupied to take notice of the passing looks of admiration she received from the people she passed.

Misery was clearly written all over her beautiful face and was even accompanied with the aura of melancholy, yet it was not enough to deter passersby from paying at least a fair amount of attention to the aesthetic appearance she was gifted with.

"Looks like someone's feeling really down." A blithe, masculine voice abruptly said, immediately capturing Evelynn's attention.

Her gaze met lime green eyes through the cool water sprinkling up from the fountain at the center of the park, the carefree look on the blond's face half-hiding the sympathy he was feeling for her. Evelynn knew the man. He was tall, had a lean build and a noticeably impressive jawline. Truth be told, he was a tad bit narcissistic, but he was quite the charmer and a real lovable guy.

He was just like her.

"Rakan." Evelynn uttered his name rather quietly, which made it a little surprising that he even heard her.