Book Three: Chapter Three

After the kingdom was asleep-with the exception of the guards, of course-I headed into the woods. I needed to clear my head and access the situation. Well, first of all, evil men are in the forest. They tried to kill me. Next, a mysterious and very handsome man saved me and asks for my father's help. My father allows him to stay until next week. My mother is acting weird.

The last sentence sparks my curiosity and before I realize it, I'm walking into her potions room-eager to find out what she was up to. When I got there, my mother was pouring water into the basin.

"Look into the bowl, Kaelen," she said into an eery sound. Silently I obeyed and stared into it. The water rippled and soon I saw myself on my father's lap, not even old enough to walk yet, playing with one of his braids. I smiled at the memory before it rippled again, showing another memory. I was running towards my mother in tears, holding a dead crow in my arms. Like I asked, she healed it and it flew away. What the memory doesn't reveal is that I caused the death of the crow. That's something that my mother nor father has never known. I can cause death but not life. Death is almost undo-able. Then another ripple came. It was my future, I realized quickly as I saw myself place my palm to a man's throat. The man fell to the ground, lifeless. Another ripple. I was standing with my arms out, the ravens circling overhead before I commanded it to kill my target. I stifled a gasp as another ripple was made. This prediction was more pleasant, to say the least. It was me standing with Faradrim who was holding a small child with dark raven hair and deep blue eyes. The little girl looked exactly like me. That's when I realized that she was my child. I gasped and stepped back, eying my mother in surprise.

"Did you see all of that?" She nodded before speaking. "I always wondered what it meant when you were of the dead. Gandalf told me that was what you were after you were born. I was afraid that it meant that you were evil but I soon realized that it meant you were the executioner of this world, just as your sister is the giver of life."

"So that means I'm not evil?" I asked, my lips setting into a line.

"I do not know but I know a few things. You have communication with the dead. Also, you can decide what lives and what doesn't. It's a gift, Kaelen but also a curse. Deciding someone's fate is difficult but it could bring peace." I took in her words before nodding. She went to leave but I stopped her.

"Does father know about this?" I asked and she pursed her lips.

"I didn't tell him but I know he senses the death. It is in your aura." I stared at her before leaving the room.

*

For the next week, I followed every order, didn't talk out of line or even left the safety of the palace. I know that my father noticed my out of ordinary behavior but didn't say a word. I almost forgot that Adalia and Norian was coming until they arrived. That's when the chaos started between Adalia and my mother. I knew that they didn't get along but this was nothing that I expected. Let me explain what had happened.

Norian stepped out of the carriage before helping Adalia out. I expected that carriage would pull away but to my surprise-to everyone's, actually, another person stepped out. A girl slightly younger than me with red hair and an innocent smile followed behind Adalia. For my mother's sake, I hoped that she was a servant but she wasn't, of course.

"Hello Arietta," she said, embracing her in a hug before pulling the girl beside her.

"I would like to introduce Liliana, your sister." I saw my mother grit her teeth from beside me before smiling. She extended her hand to Liliana. "It's so great, having you here, sister." Sister came out harsh but Liliana paid no mind. She looked over at me and giggled. Yes, she actually giggled.

"It's weird that my niece is older than me." I half smiled at her, before my mother lead them in. I didn't follow but went to find Faradrim. He laid in bed, reading a book.

"What is that?" I asked, pointing to the book.

"A book about Bilbo and Frodo's adventures." I looked at the book with interest.

"Both my mother and Adalia are in there." He nodded before grabbing another book that was dark blue.

"This might be of interest to you, but this is Lady Arietta's journal of her adventure." I went to grab the book but he held it out of reach.

"I want the book," I said, pouting with my arms crossed. He shook his head, a smirk on his face.

"Are you ready to read it?" I nodded and he cautiously handed my the book. I thanked him and sprinted back to my room. I opened it to the first page.

"I'm writing this book so I don't forget. Forget the joys or the pain of this adventure. Read at your own caution." I bit my lip as I continued reading. I didn't stop, not even when they called me for dinner. Then I came to the part where I was, um, conceived. I felt a blush on my face and that's when I heard a chuckle behind me.

"Got to that part, didn't you? See, that's why I wanted to know if you were ready." I glared at him, about to close the book.

"Don't stop, keep going. It's very fascinating." He took a set beside me and I began reading again. After my parent's wedding, my mother just documented how she was feeling. Then we came to my birth.

"The pain in my stomach increased as they laid me down onto the bed. The pain was so intense, I couldn't breath. I heard Gandalf come in. He grabbed my hand reassuringly. I smiled but it faltered as another wave of pain went through me.

"Legolas," I called out desperately even though he hadn't arrived yet. I remained in pain, probably breaking Gandalf's hand, until Legolas arrived. He gave me a worried look before placing a necklace into my hand. It was the moonstone that I had given him before I rode to Minas Tirith. Quickly, the necklace worked it's magic. I could still feel the contractions but they were toned down. Soon, the midwives(yes, I had more than one but just for the record, Jetta was the person I trusted) had me spread my legs and push. It took about a thousand very painful pushes before my child was finally out. Legolas caressed my cheek before the infant was handed to me.

"It's a girl," Jetta said as I took in my daughter's features. She had raven hair and eyes the color of the ocean. But there was something dark about her. I could tell Gandalf and Legolas both felt it but didn't comment. After I was cleaned up, Legolas had to leave with his father and I was left alone with Gandalf.

"Do you feel the darkness that surrounds her?" he asked. I nodded.

"Is she evil?" Gandalf shook his head.

"She's of the dead." I gave him a horrified look. "Which means that she is the light in the dark. She controls it. It could be very useful in dark times. I suggest that you guard her until the time is right for her to fight darkness." I nodded at him. He kissed my forehead before heading to the door. He stopped and turned around to face me.

"I wish that you could bid Lady Galadriel and I farewell but I'm glad that I was here to meet your firstborn. Give my blessings to the rest of your children for me." I nodded, my eyes smarting with tears as I saw Gandalf for the last time. After all these years of being the wizard's apprentice, I was my own master now."

I felt Faradrim brush away a few tears that came to my eyes.

"Are you okay?" he asked and I nodded before a question popped into my mind.

"Where's the moonstone now? I don't recall my mother wearing it." He shrugged.

"I don't know. She's your mother, not mine." I pushed the moonstone out of my head before going to more happy topics.

"We have a festival in a few days. Are you coming." Faradrim nodded, smiling at me. Then to my surprise, he reached out and curled a strand of my hair around his finger.

"You're beautiful," he said before letting the strand drop. I wanted so desperately to kiss him right then, but I knew that it was too early. He sighed contently before leaving the room. I sighed as well before laying my head onto my pillow, the dark pulling me under.