Book Two: Chapter Four

I ran my finger up and down a wooden column, thinking about Haldir. He died fighting for me. What if it had been Legolas? I cringed at the thought. Suddenly, a loud boom echoed around us and the women and children whimpered. I laughed softly at how naive they are. They've never seen war, they've been protected their whole life. Maybe if they weren't babied so much, Rohan would stand a chance.

"Arietta, any thoughts?" Aragorn asked from beside Theoden. I didn't have any clue of what they were talking about.

"Thoughts on what?" Legolas sent me a worried look while Theoden gave me a glare.

"You aren't taking this seriously! This is probably just some imaginary game that you believe will go away if you want it to!" Theoden yelled at me. I clenched my fists and walked over to him.

"It is very real to me. A very good friend of mine died saving me and I couldn't mourn because I'm trying to save your kingdom. So please tell me again, King Of Rohan, how this is all just make believe to me." Theoden looked at me speechlessly while I pushed passed him and tried making my way to the corner. Aragorn grabbed my hand before I could.

"You're not in this alone. I was friends with Haldir as well." I pulled out of his grip in one, quick, violent motion, catching Aragorn by surprise.

"Tell me what to do, Strider." Aragorn turned away, looking thoughtful for a minute.

"Ride out with me." I gave a startled look. Apparently Aragorn had eaten some messed up mushrooms.

"Ride out with me," he repeated.

"For death and glory," Theoden added.

"For Rohan. For your people." I looked between them.

"I'll ride out with you," I said, realizing that I will most likely die.

"Let this be the hour when we draw swords together. Fell deeds awake, now for wrath, now for ruin and a red dawn!" Theoden placed his helmet on his head before mounting. We followed suit right before the door busted open and orcs poured in. Our decimated army charged out of the hall, making our way along a road. I shot little bursts of fire here and there, tiring out way too quickly. Soon, I was basically riding around, trying not to die. Then I turned towards the rising sun. Gandalf was there and so was someone else. Someone I didn't expect.

"Mom?" I said in disbelief. Suddenly, a massive army rode down and began fighting the Uruk-hai. I watched as my mother, dressed in leather and holding a long sword from her journey with the dwarves, took out orcs like it was nothing. Soon, there were only a handful of orcs left, and those who were, fled.

"Victory! We have victory!" Theoden yelled and everyone began cheering, except for me. I fell from Baralin in exhaustion.

***

I watched the soldiers pile up the orc bodies as Legolas made his way over to Gimli and I.

"Final count 42." Gimli scoffed.

"Forty two? That's not bad for a pointy-eared Elvish prince-ling. I myself am sitting pretty on 43." Legolas's face dropped before he suddenly fired at an orc that Gimli was sitting on.

"Forty-three," Legolas said, causing Gimli to get frustrated.

"He was already dead!"

"He was twitching."

"He was twitching because he's got my axe buried in his nervous system," Gimli said, demonstrating this by moving his axe, causing the orc's limbs to move. Legolas rolled his eyes before turning to me.

"What's your final count?"

"I lost count at 145." Gimli shot up in protest.

"But you have magic. That's not fair!"

"Calm down, Gimli. I forfeit, anyways," I said before standing up and walking away.