Book Three: Chapter Two

It's not only Aurelius and I as you may have thought. No, we have a sister that is very hard to ignore. She's the elf through and through, not a klutz and flawless hair. My father's pride and joy. Everyone is jealous of her, even me. I hate to admit it, but I am. I constantly hear "Why can't you be more like your sister," and "Well, we know who got the beauty gene," which I honestly don't get because I thought I was pretty too. Oh well, it really doesn't matter just as long as I don't end up with Darwyn.

"Kaelen, your father wants all the royals in the hall for a meeting," mother said, poking her head in the room. I nodded and followed her into hall only to see Lorelle, my sister, sitting in my seat. It's not that big of a deal except that we sit according to when we were born. It would be me, Aurelius, then her. I sent a questioning look to Aurelius who just shrugged. I then looked at Lorelle who was looking smugly at me. Of course, she can talk daddy into anything. I sighed and took a seat in her former seat. Soon all of the seats were filled and father called the meeting to order.

"As some of you know, there is an evil that has risen to power in what was known as 'Mordor'. Gondor and Rohan are coming together to fight but we must stay out of it. This is a battle that must be fought by men, not by dwarves or elves." I stood up, defensive.

"So you aren't going to help Aragorn, your friend?" I said suddenly, causing some elves to roll their eyes and my father to glare at me.

"He stands by our decision." I laughed humorlessly.

"Oh really? Aragorn who is now very old and not in very good shape to fight is okay with immortal, fit, elves not helping? Is mother okay with this?" I said, gritting my teeth. Murmurs went around the room, one of the things I heard was "Kaelen's at it again. Stubborn mule." My father rubbed his temples in annoyance.

"You are trying my patience, Kaelen."

"Wouldn't it have been better if I was never born? I was a mistake, anyways." With that, I ran from the hall and back to my room, throwing myself onto my bed. According to my mother I was a blessing but in honesty, I was a mistake. I even made people question if my mother was a whore or not since I had black hair while both my parents and my siblings have blonde. I always brought grief to my father and sometimes I wonder would they be happier if I left? I know Lorelle would and so would father. My mother would probably miss me, maybe Aurelius too. But I think having the king of Mirkwood hate you would outweigh them. A knock came from the door and soon my mother walked in. She sighed as she sat down beside me.

"Some people are coming in a week." I nodded.

"It's my mother, Lady Adalia, and my grandfather, Norian the Red." That got my attention.

"Wait, I thought you haven't seen or spoke to your mother in, like, fifty years." She nodded.

"Not since Aragorn was crowned. That's why it's important for you to act proper when they come." I rolled my eyes at her. Of course I was told to be on my best behaviour.

"I'll be good," I replied before she kissed the top of my head and walked out.

*

I walked out to the forest after breakfast, singing as I went and stepping over tree roots. I stopped singing when I felt a pair of eyes on me. When I turned around, a man with an arrow pointed at me met my eyes. I sped off in the opposite direction and I heard the man follow. Jumping over a rock, my foot slipped when I landed, sending me sprawling. The man approached, this time he had an axe in his hand. He raised it up before sending it down. Instead of pain, I heard the clash of metal. A man fought against my attacker and I was too stunned to do anything. Then I saw my savior fall and the attacker inching closer to him, ready to end his life. I brought my hand out, trying my best at using the magic I had learned. To my satisfaction, fire shot out and turned the attacker into ash. I then rushed to the man's side. He still had a pulse and I could see that he was still conscious, just a blow to the head it looked like. He opened his eyes and studied me for a moment.

"I'm Kaelen, princess of Mirkwood, and you are?"

"Faradrim, son of Faramir."

"My mother was friends with Boromir, Faramir's brother," I said softly before helping him stand.

"I need to speak to the King of Mirkwood." I nodded and lead him back home, people whispering as we made our way into the hall. My father stood up quickly.

"Who are you?" father bellowed which I thought was unnecessary.

"Faradrim, son of Faramir." My father's eyes softened a bit but still his voice remained cold.

"And what business do you have with my daughter?"

"He saved my life in the forest," I answered. This time, it was me who he spoke coldly to.

"How many times have I told you to stay out of the forest?" I rolled my eyes.

"I'm not the one who has business with you," I said yet I didn't leave.

"Fine. What is your business, Faradrim, son of Faramir?"

"We need a sorcerer in order to win this war." My father rubbed his temples like he did last night.

"None of my children are experienced enough and I'm not allowing my wife to go on another journey. Have you asked Norian the Red or Lady Adalia?"

"No, I have not asked them," Faradrim said, his eyes lowering to the ground.

"Well, you may ask them when they arrive next week. Until then, Jetta will show you a room. Kaelen, go help him with his head. Since you can't heal, you'll need to get some remedies from your mother." I nodded and ran to her potions room. When I arrived, I saw my mother pouring water into a basin and muttering something under her breath. I knocked twice before greeting her. She looked up, a serious look on her face.

"What?" I asked suspiciously. She shook her head before going back to the basin. Weird, I thought as I grabbed a potion that would heal cuts immediately. I went back to Faradrim who was lying on the bed, Jetta giving him a lists of don'ts. When she was gone, I carefully poured some of the potion onto a cloth and dabbed at his head. He didn't mutter a word but from past experiences, I knew that this stuff stings. Standing up from my chair, I looked down at Faradrim before quickly exiting the room.