Book Three: Chapter One

I giggled as my brother, Aurelius, slipped on a rock and face planted into the ground. He glared at me as he stood up.

"You shouldn't laugh since it seems that you have accidents all the time." It was true, I did. I couldn't help it. Elves were usually well coordinated but the dwarf in me made me less graceful.

"Well, I could catch you on fire," I shot back.

"But you won't because you would make mommy and daddy very sad," he said as if talking to a baby.

"Please, you know mother and father like me better than you. I'm the firstborn, remember?" He rolled his eyes.

"Well at least I'm prettier." With that, he took off running with me in his pursuit.

"You're going to pay for that, Aurelius!" Suddenly, my foot slipped out from under me and I went flailing down a hill. When I had finally stopped, my ankle was throbbing along with numerous cuts.

"Aurelius, help!" A few seconds later, my brother appeared.

"Really, Kaelen? You are such a dwarf sometimes." I glared at him as he bent down and picked me up bridal style. I cringed each time that he took a step. By the time we had made it home, it was dusk. Aurelius laid me down onto my bed before going to get our parents. When they came, both looked more annoyed than worried. I do get hurt a lot though.

"Kaelen, can't you be more careful? This is the third time you have fallen in the last month. You're draining your mother since she is the one healing you," my father, Legolas, scolded.

"But I can't help it!" I whined as my mother bent down and healed my ankle.

"Well, learn to or don't leave your room." With that Legolas and my brother left, leaving me with my mother.

"It's always 'Don't do this' and 'Don't do that,'" I muttered loud enough for my mother to hear.

"Kaelen, he just wants to keep you safe. You are his first child. I would worry too but I was pretty clumsy when I was younger. One time I even fell into the fountain, dragging Haldir with me." I half smiled at her. I knew thinking about Haldir and Lothlorien always saddened my mother. Apparently, Haldir was killed in battle protecting her and Lothlorien was her home. She won't go back since Galadriel is gone. I never got to meet her but I heard that she was a powerful elf sorceress.

My mom squeezed my hand before leaving. Then it was just me.

*

I casually walked through the garden, touching a petal occasionally. After a few minutes, I realized that I wasn't alone. I spun around to see Darwyn, my father's most trusted adviser. I knew that he liked me and that my father has already approved of it, which is strange because his father didn't want him to marry my mother. I feel like I am forced into this.

"Oh, hello Darwyn," I said as he approached me.

"These are beautiful flowers, aren't they," he said in a soft voice. I nodded as he took a step closer to where there was no space between us. Putting his hand on my chin, he brought his lips down onto mine. I pulled away quickly, startling him.

"Don't ever do that again!" I yelled before running back to my chambers and throwing myself onto my bed. I began sobbing loudly, not hearing the door open. Someone placed their hand onto my back, rubbing it softly. When I looked to see who it was, I saw my mother. I buried my head into her chest like when I was younger.

"Shhh, it'll be okay," she said softly, stroking my hair as I continued to cry.