10th of December

Human Rights Day

How would you feel if someone took away your basic rights like freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom to travel here and there? You would feel suffocated. For you, these are your basic rights regardless of your class, gender, race, nationality, or religion. But have you ever wondered where all these rights come from? Or the history behind them?

There have been many instances in the history of cruelty and violation of rights. People have been treated like animals for the things that they can't control like their gender, caste, religion, etc. At that time, there was no such thing as basic human rights.

It was much later, in 1948, that the topic of human rights came into consideration. On the 10th of December, we celebrate human rights, in commemoration of the day when the UN General Assembly adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948. This happened after the Second World War because the U.N wanted to prevent atrocities that had occurred in the past from happening again. They created the document as a way to define which human rights would be protected universally.

It was stated clearly that all human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights and should act towards one another in the spirit of brotherhood. We gained 30 basic human rights in the month of December, thus making this month Human Rights Month.

This year's theme is Recover Better - Stand Up For Human Rights. It is related to the COVID-19 pandemic and focuses on the need to build back better by ensuring Human Rights are central to recovery efforts. We should create equal opportunities for all, address the failures exposed and exploited by COVID-19, and apply human rights standards to tackle inequalities, exclusion, and discrimination.

Human Rights Related Resources:

https://dignityandrespect.org/universal-human-rights-month/
https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/human-rights-month/
https://www.un.org/en/observances/human-rights-day