3rd of December

International Day of People With Disabilities (IDPWD)

This years theme for IDPWD is "Not All Disabilities Are Visible" - this focuses on spreading awareness and understanding of disabilities that are not immediately apparent, such as mental illness, chronic pain or fatigue, sight or hearing impairments, diabetes, brain injuries, neurological disorders, learning differences, and cognitive dysfunctions, etc.

*15% of the world's population (or more than 1 billion people) are living with a disability. 

* It's estimated 450 million of those people are living with a mental or neurological condition.

* And it's though thirds of those people will not seek professional medical help, largely due to stigma, discrimination, and neglect. 

During the COVID-19 pandemic, isolation, disconnect, disrupted routines and diminished services have had an enormous impact on the lives and mental wellbeing of people with disabilities across the world. Invisible disabilities often have a detrimental, but not always noticeable, impact on mental health and spreading awareness of them is crucial as we continue to battle the coronavirus.

On the 4th of December, there's a Commemorative Event for IDPD 2020: Action Toward a Disability-Inclusive, Accessible and Sustainable Post-COVID-19 World" between 11.00 am-12:45 pm EST. The event will include representatives of Member States, UN offices, organizations of persons with disabilities, civil society, and the private sector. 

Disabilities Awareness Related Resources:

https://www.un.org/development/desa/disabilities/international-day-of-persons-with-disabilities-3-december/idpd2020.html
https://idpwd.org/