27th of June

PTSD Awareness Day

June is acknowledged as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) awareness month. Every year 27th of June is celebrated as National PTSD awareness day.

The aim of celebrating this day is to raise awareness of post-traumatic stress disorder, a mental health problem that may develop after a person has been exposed to one or more traumatic events. Symptoms of PTSD include reliving the traumatic event through flashbacks and nightmares, feelings of isolation irritability and guilt, as well as difficulty sleeping.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) has a profound effect on the lives of those who suffer from it. The trauma and stress related to PTSD is a continuous burden that cannot be separated from the sufferers. This condition is diagnosed in people who experienced violence and crime or lived through catastrophic events.

Statistics show 20% of adults in the United States who have experienced a traumatic event suffer from PTSD. Though this is something that anyone can suffer, Veterans are highly likely to experience it during their lives, with Vietnami War veterans 30%, Gulf War veterans 10%, and Iraq War veterans 14%.

Organizations working with employees, consumers, and patients at risk for the PTSD condition work to get more information about the symptoms and treatment of the condition to the public in hopes that the more the people will get to know about this condition, the more people suffering from it will be able to get treatment. The celebration of the day not only strives to bring awareness to the public but to also educate and eliminate the stigma associated with PTSD.