Grades

Zelda walked home slowly, not wanting to tell her parents about the test grade. When she finally reached her house, she sighed. She opened the door and walked inside, already dreading the response she'd get from telling her dad about the grade. Well, she had been dreading that all day. It wasn't exactly a new feeling, either. Every time she didn't get a 100 or something above 95, she got punished. And an 82 was terrible in her dad's eyes. Absolutely terrible.

Zelda walked to her mom's office where she usually was. She was sitting at her desk, looking over papers.
"Hey Mom. Sorry to bother you."
"Oh, no, it's fine. I was just looking over these. Did you get your test back today?"
"Yes."
"What did you get?"
"A-an... an 82."
"Oh dear. Well, there's not much you can do about it, so I'll talk to your father."
"Thank you."

She opened her bag and gave her mom the test, then she went up to her room. Just because she just took a test didn't mean she didn't have any work.

<<×>>

"Zeldaaa!"
"Yes, Dad?"
"Tell me about your test. Did you get your score?"
"Uhm... Yeah."
"What was it?"
She heard he door open as her dad's voice grew closer. He entered the room.
"Eighty- eighty-two..."
"Really? May I see?"

She took the test paper out of her bag and nervously handed it to her father. He examined it for a moment, frowning.
"Young lady, you can do better than this. I expect more from you."

Then, he crumpled up the paper and grabbed her by the collar of her shirt.
"I told you to study!"
"I-I did!"
"Not enough, it seems! This- this B is as good as failing to me!"
He snacked her across the face and threw her down. He rubbed his forehead with his fingers and said, quieter,
"I can't believe you'd do this to me. To your father. To your mother."
"I s-sorry. I can do extra credit."
"Yes, but that's not the same. Extra credit doesn't mean you know this. Extra credit is as good as cheating."
"But-"
"Shush!"
He quieted her with another slap.

"Now do your homework."
He walked out of the room calmly, as if none of that happened. She backed up and sat on her bed, tears forming in her eyes. He put her head on her hands and cried.

<<×>>

S: what's this I hear about you stealing shit?
L: what?
S: I heard u stole something from the store by the school
L: what in Hylia's name are you talking about
S: I'm talking about how u apparently stole something
L: I didn't steal anything
L: where did u hear that
S: my sister heard it from a friend
L: do you know who that friend was
S: ya I think she's one of Zelda's friends
S: name starts with m or something
S: maybe n
S: idk
L: I'm gonna check with Zelda

~~

L: hey
L: sean says that his sister told him that her friend told her that I stole somethign from the store by the school
L: he said that that friend is one of your friends
L: her name started with m or n or somethign
L: do I know who it was

L: zel?

L: hello?

~~~

Link figured that she just didn't have her phone near her. He'd ask her later. Now, though, he had homework to do.

<<×>>

Link was done with his homework, and he had played some KoH(Knights of Hyrule) with Sean. He checked his phone, but Zelda still hadn't answered. She must not have seen his texts.

~

L: hey!
L: I want to ask you something!
L: are you there?

~

After waiting a few minutes, he gave up and started playing KoH again.

<×>

He was starting to get worried. She still hadn't answered.

~

L: u ok?
L: is something wrong?
L: zel?
L: hello?
L: zelda!
L: are you okay?
L: are you just ignoring me?

~

Link decided to call her. No answer. He tried again. Still no answer. Again. This time there was an answer.

"Whew. I thought something happened to you, Zel."
"Who are you?"
He was surprised by the voice on the phone. It was a man's voice. An adult.
"I said, who the heck are you?"

He recognized the voice. It was Zelda's  dad. He had probably taken her phone or something. Maybe he was over-protective. Maybe both. He answered nervously, twirling his hair around his finger.

"Sorry, sir. I'm a friend of Zelda's. My name is Link. May I talk to her?"
"No."
There was a voice in the background, protesting about something. It sounded like Zelda. Link cringed internally. Arguing like that was a bad idea.
"Fine! But only a minute."
"Thank you, sir."

Then, Zelda spoke into the phone.
"Sorry. My dad took my phone."
"I understand. That used to happen to me all the time."
"Used to?"
"Anyways, I wanted to ask you something."
"Um, sure."
"Okay, did Midna say anything about me stealing stuff? Cuz I definitely didn't do tha-"
He was interrupted by Zelda's father yelling something, probably that their time was up.
"Oh, shoot, I gotta go. Sorry. See you at school?"
"Yeah, see you at school."

Halfway through his sentence, Zelda hung up.
"Well," he said to himself, putting his phone face-down on his desk. "That was... I dunno. Welp, back to the game. At least she's alright. Nothing bad happened to her, so I won't worry."