Chapter Eleven: I Couldn't Stop Him

The principals office?! How the hell am I going to the principals office? It should be that dumb bitch Kierra. Normally, I'm a very sweet person and I treat other with respect. But this girl i cannot stand. She angers me. No, she pisses me off. I swear, one of these days I'm going to punch her and I won't be ashamed one bit.

This ain't anything new, but my heart is racing yet again. The last time I was in the principals office was a year ago at my old school. I used to go to a very small school where everyone knew all the gossip on everyone. We all knew that Brent Carter was the bad boy and tried to get into a girls pants every other week. Or that Sidney Thompson was the basic bitch, or that Jackson Portman was the one that peed his pants in 8th grade bc he got nervous about asking Carley Mason to the Winter Ball. And no she didn't go with him after that. I kind of felt bad for him though. It's just where I'm from everybody knows a little bit of something about everyone.

When I was younger, I used to have big panic attacks right before I had to do public speaking. There was a time when I had a really big panic attack in seventh grade. I was practicing in front of my dad and I swear I thought that I was acting really confidently. But I think my dad saw right through me.

After I finished my presentation he made me sit down and we had a talk. The fact that I still, to this day remember all the words he said to me is a miracle.

He grabbed ahold of my hands and discreetly told me" Nevaeh, if you ever get nervous you just need to remember to breath in through your mouth and out through your nose." Whenever i closed my eyes I tried to imagine relaxing things. Like my feet in the sand, and the waves rushing up against my feet. Those are the kinds of things I would think of when I close my eyes. And now when I close my eyes all I see is my nightmare repeating itself over and over again. The police breaking down our door. Guns pointed straight at my dad just like in the movies. But this wasn't a movie, this was real life. The walk down feels like torture. I try to breathe but my mind is telling me not to. I open the door slowly and walk inside. I swear the main office secretary Mrs. Sánchez, never ever stops smiling. Like does seriously nothing bad ever happen to her?

"Nevaeh darling, you can go right inside."The horror in her smile is giving me the creeps. I open the wooden door and the principal is eating jelly beans. Out of all things I have no idea why he would want to eat jelly beans but okay.

"Nevaeh I would just like to talk to you about how well you are fitting in at this school, because someone has come up to me and said they don't think you like it here." I don't like it here? What the hell does that even mean. I've been here for at least 2 days. I get out my notebook and pen and write down " I like it here a lot, thanks for asking." And then I show it to him.

He tilts his head to the side but shortly after 10 more minutes he lets me go back to class. I exit the main office and Skylar is just leaning by the door. At first I didn't even notice him and he scared me so much I jump. He chuckles.

"Woah sorry I didn't mean to scare you." Skylar walks me back to class and the moment I walk back in, my stomach just drops.

It reminded me of the moment of when a teacher calls on you, and you take too long to answer the question and the whole class is just staring at you like you're the dumbest person. But the worst part is that Kierra is on Bryers lap smirking. One day she will get what's coming to her.

But what really pisses me off is the fact that Bryer is holding her. His strong hands wrapped around her waist. But that's fine because that isn't even the worst part. As soon as the bell rang he looked up at me and it was like the old Bryer was back. The Bryer who thinks he's so tough and all "that" when he isn't. And that's when I bolted out of there.

                   •.              •.         •.

And that's when I ran. I ran as fast as I could because I just needed to get as far as I could and away from everything. Never in my life have I ever skipped school and later I would realize that it was the biggest mistake I have ever made. I haven't been here long but I know my way mostly. I ran as far as I could till I couldn't run anymore. It was starting to get dark out and that's when I realized that I should get home. Jade and Reese were probably the most worried.

I was just a block away from home and I saw my uncle and he was with a strange woman. And then I caught on that he was with the woman whom he was having an affair with. I hid behind a tree and discretely listened to the conversation. I was starting to get bored because they weren't talking about anything interesting. Someone's hands grabbed my shoulders and scared me making noises rustle from the tree causing them to look my way. I turn around and it was none other than the asshole himself. Bryer. He whispered in a low voice "follow my lead" and then he took me behind my house.

"What the hell is wrong with you?! I don't wanna be anywhere with you." I scold him and give him my best death glare. I can be really threatening when I want to be.

"Oh how about what the hell is wrong with you miss-I'll-just-skip-class." I simply just roll my eyes and storm off towards my house. He grabs onto my wrist tightly making my heart race.

" I wanted to make you jealous because I-I." He turned red and I could see him start to sweat.

"What you what?!" I snapped back at him.

"I like you Nevaeh." I feel frozen and like I can't move. The scary thing is I actually like him too but I just can't risk it. Especially not after what Reese told me about what he did. I think Reese was right. Bryer is just going to hurt me and after what I saw today I might just believe him.

I run into my house and don't come back. I barge into Reese's room and he holds me as I cry. No matter what happens Reese will always be here for me. A car door slams shut and we both look out the window. Uncle Matt let's the girl into the car and I watch as Reese's face turns from what the— to HELL NO. But I'm too late. I couldn't stop him.