Chapter Five: Great, Here They Come

I hate him. I hate him more than I have ever hated anyone else. The least he could have done was said he was sorry, but no he just had to be an ass. I look on the schedule Reese handed me and walked towards my English class.

I look around and the classroom is filled with anything that has to do with Shakespeare and Mark Twain. Luckily I get in the class before there's too many people. I walk down the aisle and choose the third seat in the second row. I take out my notebook and start to get prepared for class to start. As if this day couldn't get any worse, he comes in with Kierra. Along with Skylar, and his other friends from that night.

He never takes his eyes off me as he walks to his seat which he chose diagonal from me. Everyone in the room starts to talk with one another until the teacher arrives in the room. " Bryer, what the hell is going on with you today?" Kierra complains and she's the type of person that you just want her to shut up and stop talking so loud.

"Excuse me, sorry, but who are you?" She whines and she instantly makes me want to duct tape her bitchy mouth. "Hello I asked you a fucking question." And what surprises me is that Bryers friend Ash, speak up and say " Back off, she obviously can't talk so leave her alone."
I turn to my right and see Finn elbow Skylar and say " Or she doesn't want to talk to her."
They start bursting out laughing and she snaps at them " Shut the hell up Finn, at least I have a man." And then she learns over and rubs her head against Bryers neck. Like every person in here, their relationship makes me want to get sick.

Skylar thinks he's whispering but I make out what he's saying. " Yeah we aren't gay."

"Is there something you would like to share with the class, Finn and Skylar?" The color in their cheeks turn a shade darker. Almost like a dark red cherry. I can't help but smile not too big, I can't attract attention.

•. •. •.

"Hi, my name is Scarlett and I was wondering if you wanted to sit with my friends and I during lunch." I haven't had a friend like this in a long time. When the accident happened, all my friends stopped talking to me because they thought that I would be a murderer too. I whisper the words yes and she smiles and walks to her next class. I'm guessing she is a friend of Reese's.

The hours pass by quickly and lunch finally comes around. The cafeteria is already filled and my heart starts to beat really fast. There are some things that trigger my anxiety and this is one of them. People. Lots and lots of people.

"Hey Nevaeh right, come with me we sit over here." Scarlett tells me. She reminds me of that type of person that you can totally vent your feelings out to. She takes me over to a circle table that is filled with people that I assume are her friends.

"Guys this is Nevaeh, Nevaeh these are my friends and she isn't really much of a talker." She tells them and she looks at me and is looking like she is afraid that I will get mad. She isn't wrong though. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a talker. But I have learned to deal with it.

"Great, here they come." Travis groans. I've learned all their names pretty quickly. We all turn around and here comes Bryer and his little crew. So far the only nice one is Ash. He had my back and he doesn't even know me. They all stop at their table except for one person. Bryer.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" He asks and at first I didn't realize that he was talking to me. I'm sure that he remembers the last thing that I said to him.

Scarlett looks at me for confirmation and with my eyes I tell her that it's okay. " I know that you think I'm a racist, but I promise you I'm not. My grandpa is and I know you may not believe me now but I never break a promise."

" I just— god damnit I need you." It could have just been me but I felt like everyone in the cafeteria stopped talking and no one moved a muscle. What did he just say? What could he possibly need me for?

"No he doesn't need you." It's Reese and he actually told Bryer off. "What the hell did I just say last night?" Reese yells at him and I start to panic.

I panic because that was the last thing my dad said to me before he was shot. He couldn't see me but he always knew when I was listening. How could any person sleep when they could hear their own father stabbing their mother. He said " I don't need you, you're worthless anyway. Just like your mother." That's when I run out of the cafeteria. At least it's something I'm good at. I run away from my problems.