Chapter Four: I Am NOT A Racist

Okay, just so we are clear I am NOT a racist. My grandpa on the other hand is. Everyone has  that one grandparent that is always cranky, in a mood, rich and lives alone. Well meet my grandpa Trent. He lives not to far from Skyline Road. And he owns Skyline Lakes which gives me and my friends unlimited swimming time.

Every year after the first week of school is over, everyone is invited to party. And my grandpa honestly doesn't care— the playoffs always happen that day anyway. He lives in a pretty big house for someone that lives alone. Wait, would a mansion be considered as big?
One thing for sure is that he hates black people. I have no idea why. There is one thing that you say to my grandpa and that's tell him off. So in that moment, I simply had to freeze.
Before grandpa left the store, he had a smirk on his face. My phone buzzes and I think it's Reese. Probably telling me he's going to kick my ass, but instead it's Nevaeh.
" Don't look at me, don't talk even talk to me." She types. This goes on my list for pretty shitty things that I have done. Whatever I don't even fucking care but I do care about Reese. So I had already went and bought the sprite, Aspirin, and Pringle's.
Considering that she is already asleep considering that leave the grocery store about it 30 minutes after she left. I stop by their house and climb up the tree nearest to Reese's window. I swear to god, if anyone was watching this I would look straight out of a horror movie.

I finally climb through the window and cringe as it starts to squeak. Thank god, Reese is a heavy sleeper. And he should be after all he had to drink tonight. He is trying his hardest to get over his breakup with Eliza. They have been dating for 3 years and then all of a sudden she just leaves without warning and then dumps him. White bitches.

I set the Sprite, Pringle's, and Aspirin on his nightstand and then I slowly climb down his window. Everything in my life has gone wrong. My fathers dying, Kierra and I have a real unsteady relationship, and I ruined a thing with Nevaeh who can't even talk.

Fucking grandpa. I head on home and go to sleep hoping the next day is better than this one.
                              •.     •.      •.   
"Bryer sweetheart, time to get up for school." My mom calls out to me and I groan. First day of school is always the worst. There has never been a day where everything has gone perfect. I roll out of bed and put on my favorite pair of jeans and a black shirt. I can already smell freshly made bacon, eggs and pancakes. Mom makes breakfast for Dad and I every morning and it's her way of coping. We don't want to see the day where Dad won't be in our lives anymore.

"Bryer, when's your first game?" My dad asks from the end of the table.
I finish eating my bacon before saying " Tomorrow actually." Believe it or not, my dad is my biggest fan. And he is all that I need to keep me playing football.

" Oh Christ, Bryer you have 5 minutes till you have to leave." Mom says while trying to wash the dishes and clean up breakfast. Sometimes she just works way too hard.

" Shit, I'm late and I have to pick up Finn and Ash." I say quickly and puts my plate and glass in the sink.

"Bryer language." Mom warns and I tell her sorry as I start to head out the door.

" Kick everyone's butts at practice tonight. Including Reese's." Out of all my friends, I think that dad likes Reese the most. I smile at him and tell them both bye and that I'll see them later tonight.

Lucky for me, Ash lives down only a couple of blocks and Finn lives about 10 minutes from me. Ash enters my truck and his face cringes in disgust.

"What the hell is that smell?" He questions and I roll my eyes because I should have cleaned it with more muscle because it still smells.

Last night before after I stopped at the grocery store , after the whole Grandpa show I started to walk to my truck when I decided to go back to the Bonfire. That's when I see that Skylar has fallen over on the grass. Thing about Skylar is that he can't handle his liquor and anyone could mistake him for getting white girl wasted.

I ran over to him and told him " Are you shitting me?" I picked him up and carried him to the backseat and took him home. Right before I pulled into his house, he puked all over my backseat.

"Last night, Skylar puked all over the backseat." Ash groans in response. If there's anyone that has been through hell, it's him. Ash lives with his mom ever since his dad left them one day telling him how big of a disappointment Ash was and how he hopes he will die here soon. And if that wasn't bad enough he had to watch his sister die a slow death due to Leukemia. Maybe that's why he cares so much about how my dad is doing, I never realized.

When I pull into Finns driveway, there are still freaking beer cans and cups thrown all on the ground. He almost trips over one of them getting inside the truck. He almost sits down until he yells " Oh hell no, it smells like shit back here." I sigh and simply give up because I'm not a real good cleaner. Alright fine. I didn't exactly try.

"Just sit in the truck, it's only 5 minutes away remember?" I tell him and strangely he listens.

5 minutes later we arrive at the school and I pull into one of the empty parking spaces. The school has added a garden by the flag pole, and I am glad to say that I have not missed this hell hole. I don't even need to go to school to be a professional football player.

" Bryer baby, come on let's go inside." Kierra calls out walking towards me. Ash and Finn nudge each other because as usual they were right. Kierra can't keep away from me and sometimes I think she's obsessed.

We walk through the doors and it reminds me of some chic flick. Everyone is at their lockers and asking how their summer was and if anyone asks me, my summer was shit.

We turn eighth because we are heading towards English class and of course there she is . And so is Skylar. I hear Kierra scoff " Why is Skylar talking to her?!" I shrug not really in a mood to talk.

As we get closer I can hear them more clearly. " Umm hello, I am trying to speak to you why aren't you answering?" Fucking idiot.

"Oh my god, is he still drunk?" Finn asks and then starts to laugh. Kierra starts to pull my arm and I let her. As I walk past her I swear to god I think I'm losing it. I swore I heard her say " Asshole" underneath her breath. She still has pain in her eyes and this time I can't be the one to help her. She's all alone.