Chapter Two: Cousin? Dude, Where She At?

"Bryer, get your ass over here" Reese called out to me. Reese is like a brother to me but he gets on my nerves sometimes.
"What?" I say walk-in towards him.
"Dude— Kierra just told me that you're an ass" he tells me and then bursts out laughing.
"And umm hey, have you seen my cousin anywhere?" He questions. Umm what cousin? No family has visited their house in over 6 years.
"You need to be a bit more specific" I say humoring him.
"Long curly hair, plaid red shorts, ring any bells?" Wait a minute. No, no. Fuck they're related.
"Shit" I whisper not realizing that I'm talking out loud. Reese stands up from the edge of his truck and he demands " What the hell did you do?"
" I was pissed with Kendra and I well kissed her, sort of angrily" I admit. His expression goes from angry to pissed. And with Reese there is always a difference.
"Stay way the hell away from her, she's very fragile" he threatens.
I scoff" What is she made of—glass?"
He pushes my chest. " Hey I mean it. Stay away from her, don't even look at her."
Okay, something is definitely going on. Reese is hiding something and that's so unlike him.
"Dude spill. Talk to me, what happened to her? You can trust me." I plead to him. We have been close for 9 years.
"Look— she can't talk. She can but she chooses not to. She saw something that no person should ever see. It's not my place to tell you what happened." He says and that's when his whole body relaxes.
" Promise to stay away?' He asks me and I nod my head. Little did I know that it would soon be a promise that I would break. It would suck not being able to speak. My mouth is the reason I get all the girls. I honestly don't know what I would do without it.
A holler come from behind me. Skylar, Ash, and Finn are all carrying a 6-pack of beer in their hands. Ash elbows Finn and yells " You owe me 10 bucks. Little Miss Perfect and Bryer are done."
"Not yet. Just wait tomorrow they'll be sucking face in English class." Skylar says laughing.
"Just drink your beer already." I tell them get annoyed.
"Dude what's Reese's deal?" Finn asks and we all turn to look at him. Reese is lounging on a chair except his shoes are off, and his shirt is halfway up revealing his stomach.
"Too much beers and plus his cousin is here" I tell them.
" Cousin? Dude, where she at?" Skylar asks looking around.
"Reese said she is off limits" I say explaining.
"Like I give a shit what Reese thinks." Skylar snaps back.
Finn finishes his beer and throws it across the grass. The Bonfire is always at his house because his parents are out. Around this time, each year they go to a business meeting in Tokyo. His family is the richest family in Williamstown.
"How's your dad Bryer?" Ash asks me. I sigh because I don't like talking about him to anyone. I regret telling Kierra about him because she doesn't even give two shits. He's dying and no one gives a shit. Someone's footsteps interrupt us and thank god I don't have to talk about my dad.
I can seem to make out a face because of the darkness. But when this person steps closer I can this person much and more clearer. It's her.
She sees me and her eyes say it all. She wants to escape from me ... I can just tell. Skylar whispers "Who the fuck is that? Damn." Skylar runs his hands through his jet black hair.
"It's her." I tell them. We must look creepy considering that every single one of us is staring at her. I swear to god if Skylar uses one of his pickup lines, I am going to cringe.
He walks up to her and says" You must be honey because you are looking sweet."
I can't contain myself and I burst out laughing. She gives me a glare and I drop laughing. Then she turns to look at Skylar and she knows I'm watching. She smiles at him and touches his bicep. Wait a minute? How much has she had to drink? She seems like a completely different person than when I had met her before.
She looks at Reese and begins to try to pick him up but Skylar pushes her back gently.
"No, no I got this sugar" he tells her and I cannot believe my eyes. He lifts Reese into the passenger seat and she thanks Skylar by giving him a kiss on the cheek before hopping in the drivers seat. She must have had a lot to drink in order to flirt with Skylar.

She starts the engine and then she drives away. Skylar runs towards us and yells " I think she likes me."
I turn towards him. "She just did that so you would help her carry Reese."
"Oh yeah, jealous a girl is paying attention to me?" He snaps at me.
"It won't last long, dumbass." I say and walk off.
I decide to go home and help my mom with getting dad to bed. He has skin cancer. He caught it late and the doctors say he has about 6 more months to live. Everything going on with my dad is the reason I need a distraction. Kierra always forgets about our fights the next day. She can be a bitch sometimes. Okay, most of the time. But I need her even though she never needs me. I go home to bed and erase all memory of kissing her. She is clearly in pain and I wish I had someone to help with my pain too.