Chapter Ten: Fuck Love

Something is definitely going on here. I decide that I'm going to talk to Reese and make him explain everything to me. Reese is not the type of person to not tell me shit. It's just not him. I don't even understand what the big deal is. Nevaeh said she wanted to be friends. And how the fuck would Reese know if I was flirting or not.

10 minutes later, I pull my truck into the school parking lot. It's already packed and it's only 7:50. And then I remember we have a pep rally this morning in the gym. I climb out of my truck and I am greeted with Skylar rushing over.

I know something is up because Skylar doesn't exercise or run for that matter unless he has to.

"Dude, get your ass inside you need to see this." Skylar says all in one big breath. We push through the crowds of people and I find they're all surrounding a locker. And not just any locker. Nevaeh's.

Finally, we get through the people and now I see what everyone is snickering about. On her locker, written in red paint it says " Stay away from Bryer bitch, or I will end you."

My heart starts to thump really fast. But all I can do is stare at the back of Nevaehs head. That's all my body can do right now. She isn't stupid. I already know she can feel my presence. Constant snapping begins to ring in my ear.

"Dude, what the hell?" Skylar is in front of me snapping in my face. I get out of the trance I was in and stare at him.

"Sorry man, I don't know what happened." I answer him honestly. I know exactly who did it and I can't tell her off. It will just make things worse for Nevaeh. The only thing I can do is warn Reese about it.

"BRRYYERRRRR" a high pitched voice calls out coming from down the hallway. Here comes the Queen Bee herself. Ash actually despises her and pretty much hates her.

One summer, I was hanging out at the lake with all the guys just having a good time before school started up again. My granddad was inside watching yet another football game. My granddad doesn't care so we brought our own beers and coolers.

At the time, I had just started a relationship with her. And I thought it was going pretty well and she was treating me alright. This was 5 months before we go the news my dad had cancer.

It was a gorgeous day and we were just sitting on the lawn chairs relaxing. Then somewhere along the line we got to talking about the "Queen Bee" as to what Ash called her.

"Why are you even dating her?" Ash asked me. I have gotten this question asked over a billion times.

"Because I can date whoever the fuck I want." I say tossing another beer can at him.

He catches the beer can. " Dude she's an actual bitch."

Yeah, I understand where he's coming from. She can be evil and cruel but she makes me happy. Well, most of the time. There has been times of my life where I have felt so lost and she has been there to help me through it.
•. •. •.

5 minutes into the pep rally, it's like everyone forgot what happened to Nevaeh. Instantly, I spot her and shes all the way down in the front next to Reese.

"How is everyone today?" Principal Tate yells out in a cheery voice.

The entire gym explodes out with excitement. Principal Tate invites Coach Brian to the floor.

"Listen up— I want to each and every one of you to come to the football game tomorrow. We need each of you there so come show your support. Now I want our team captain Bryer Beckett to come down and say a few words.

I go down the bleachers two steps at a time careful not to slip and fall. I pat Coach Brian's back as he hands me the microphone.

"I'm just going to make this real quick. Today is a great year, I'm so thankful to be team captain and it has taught me so much. I have made more friends and I have gotten along with teammates. My teammates have become my family and all of you have meant so much to me. Thank you and now let's go win tomorrow's game!"

The gym erupts into cheers and I hand the mic back to Principal Tate. And barely, just a little bit I can feel Nevaeh's eyes look at me as I make my way back up the bleachers.

It's like the day flies by after the pep rally. All the classes I look forward to until English class comes around.

"Baby where have you been, I haven't seen you all day." No surprise it's Kierra. I don't even know why Nevaeh was crying the other night. She doesn't even like me like that.

Kierra and I are the last ones in the class before the sub teacher arrives. She sets her things on the desk and says " Listen up— since you just had a test this is your lucky day. Do whatever you want, just keep your voices to a minimum."

This ain't no surprise because it's the same sub we had last time. I'm trying not to be curious but like the dumbass I am, I have to be. Nevaeh is diangle from me. And of course Kierra is sitting behind her.

"Umm excuse me, didn't you hear the sub? We can do whatever we want. So why aren't you talking to anyone?" Kierra tells Nevaeh in a snappy way.

"Shut the hell up Kierra. Leave her alone." Skylar yells across the room to her. I hear Kierra scoff as she slowly turns her head towards him.

"Skylar I didn't think that I was talking to you." She says with a smirk. Skylar is about to say something until the intercom interrupts us.

"Miss Garcia?" The suba puts down her book and answers. At least she didn't do what she did last time. Last time we had her as a sub, Skylar thought it would be funny if he snuck up behind her and pull the chair out from under her. She called him a little shit and he got sent down to the principals office. Just a detention. But it was still funny.

"Can you send down Nevaeh to the principals office. She will be back shortly." It was like the whole class became kindergarteners again. They all did the "oooooohhhhhh."

I watch her as she picks up her things. Skylar comes over and helps her and then he whispers something in her ear. She nods slightly. Then he does something that pisses me off. He continues to talk to her as she walks out and then he puts his hand on her back. He walks back to his seat and then he glares at me as if to say "she's mine."

That pisses me off and I have no idea why. And then that's when it hits me. I have a crush on Nevaeh. And I can't hide it now. She wants to be friends. Reese barely wants us to be friends. And then there's Kierra. Skylar is gonna try and have her and I won't let that happen. I want her to be mine. And only mine.

Except im a dumbass and got myself in a fucking love triangle. It isn't a love triangle if the person you got a crush on you slightly hates you. Or the girl probably doesn't like you at all. Or her cousin hates the idea of us ever being together. Fuck love.