Chapter Six: He's Getting Worse

"What is going on with you?" Reese asks me but I couldn't give him an answer without telling the truth. I don't know what is going on with me. It all happened that night at the party. When I was with her.

Whenever she is with me, I seem to calm down and she makes everything in the world seem okay. Anger started to pump through my veins. It's not fair why am I not allowed to be friends with her. Instead of arguing with him, I just walk away.

" Bryer baby, who were you talking to you in the cafeteria? I realize my friends were right, she does get annoying sometimes.

It feels like hours are going by slowly until its finally time for football practice. After two hours of doing drills, doing 40 minutes of workouts, and running our plays for tomorrow I can finally go home.

"Bryer honey, how was your day?"

" It was fine momma." I tell her walking over to the fridge to grab a grape soda.

"Where is he?" I ask her.

She shakes her head. " He's getting worse." She tells me and how he has been in bed all day. How it hurts to get up.

This has been happening a lot lately and nobody could do anything more about it. Every time she told me he was getting worse, it feels like my heart stops and I'm frozen. I can't lose him. None of us can.

She kisses me on the forehead and tells me she is going to bed with dad. But I can't take it anymore. I go outside to my truck and just sit in there for a few moments of pure silence.

I slam my hands on the steering wheel and yell. "Fuck." I could never tell anyone how I really felt and this pain spread across my body and I can't deal with it anymore. I look up and she's looking at me with curious eyes. Just great, she just watched me have a mental breakdown in my truck.

She was so damn lucky she couldn't talk. She didn't have to worry about saying the right or wrong thing. She just had to worry about getting through it. Her curly hair blows in the cool breeze and I can't help but stare. She looks as if she's wondering if I need help or something. Those lips could definitely help me. Help me forget everything that is going on with my dad.

She walks over to my truck and I leave it unlocked. She climbs in and I stare out the front window.

"I can't do this anymore, it hurts." I say knowing that she won't answer but she will listen.

" I feel a pain build up in my chest every time he starts to grow weaker and weaker. He doesn't much time and I don't want him gone. He's my dad and when he leaves, a part of me leaves too." She grabs a piece of paper from my glove department and a pen and then starts to write.

"You'll be okay, I promise. He's not gone yet so live every moment. Some people never got a chance to." She wrote on the piece of paper and I'm still curious on what happened to her.

"What happened?" I ask her. She shakes her head and I complain " Oh come on, it can't be that bad."

After 3 minutes of writing, she hands me back the piece of paper. I try not to drop my jaw and Reese wasn't wrong. She did go through something no one else should ever go through.

I can't imagine a life without my mom or my dad. In a way, we are both going through our own kind of pain, and we both put on a fake smile.

" I just— I can't stay away from you." I tell her. I've never really had a girl friend before so this is a little new to me.

" I can't be friends with you." She writes on the paper and my heart sinks. A tear slides down my cheek and she wipes it away with her finger. And it's not because of what she said well part of it is. Fuck you, Reese you had to do it again.

She climbs out of my truck and starts to walk down the road to her house. In my head I know what she's thinking. There is no way that a guy like me wants to be just friends with her. Hell, everyone wants to be more than her friend. Be that is all I want. To be just friends.