late night worries

It felt almost too good to be true for Jane Seymour, who hadn't ever expected to have her son back. She had dreamed, of course, but she had never expected it to happen. Yet it had and setting up the rooms in the basement as extra bedrooms seemed to solidify the idea. But another part of her couldn't help but worry that this was temporary, that something would go wrong and she would lose this happiness in some way again. 

What if she had to leave her son again? What if something happened to him? Her mind whirled to the possibilities, keeping sleep at bay deal the fact that her whole body ached from both the work she had put into cleaning the basement out and the show that they had performed before.

So with a sigh, she headed downstairs only to find that the television was on and Katherine was curled up under a blanket, sniffling.

"You can't sleep either?" She guessed, deciding to ignore the fact that Katherine was technically disobeying her because the girl obviously had been crying.

"Not really. Did the tv wake you?" 

Jane shook her head as she moved to take a seat beside the teen who rather timidly leaned into her side after a few minutes. 

"No, my mind just keeps racing. Are you alright? What are you doing awake at this hour?"

Katherine shrugged.

"Nightmare, but I didn't want to annoy anyone." 

Jane sighed then, pulling away slightly and forcing the girl to look at her.

"Kat, I know I can't speak for everyone else but no one is going to get annoyed that you need help. Especially not me, so whenever you can't sleep or don't want to be alone you come to me. You don't have to deal with anything alone if you don't want to." 

She reminded her, wiping away some of the tear stains from the teen's face before adding 

"How about I make us some tea and they we head up to my room and try to get some sleep?" 

Her concern grew as Katherine shifted away from her, biting her lip slightly as she glanced down. 

It's obvious something is bothering her but what?

She wondered, although before she could ask, the youngest queen spoke again.

"What if Edward...Needs you tonight? What if he wakes up and wants to sleep with you?" 

The question was barely audible and trembling, as though Katherine was afraid of the answer.

"I'm sure my beds big enough...I mean if us two and Boleyn fit comfortably, I'm sure a nine year old isn't going to take up that much space."

The look of shock that she got in response broke her heart. Did Katherine really think she would make her leave if Edward came in and needed her? Did she honestly think that she wasn't as important as everyone else? Was that why she had been quiet at dinner?

She wanted to ask but something about how timid Katherine was suddenly being told her that she would just scare the girl away if she asked. So instead she smiled and gently nudged the girl.

"Come on love, I think that thought is enough to prove you need some rest." She teased, watching in the dim light as Katherine smiled slightly.

"Yeah, you're right. Thanks Jane....for everything."

Jane didn't get much sleep that night, even as she lay in her dimly lit bedroom with Katherine curled up against her, although this time her mind was focused on the young girl in her arms.

Why had she seemed hesitant to touch her? Was it just the effect of the nightmares of  assault or was it something different? After all, usually even after the worst of nightmares Kat nearly instinctively cuddled up to one person or another, yet tonight she hadn't.

Had Jane crossed some boundary that she hadn't known the girl to have? Had she hurt or offended the girl some way? Jane hoped she hadn't and made a mental note to ask Kat about it in the morning, after all, she had grown to care about all the queens during their time living together—even if that time was close to only a few months—and had developed an especially soft spot for the teenager in her arms who had been so awkward and even frightened those first few weeks of living together. 

She would rather see the sassy, cheeky and sometimes rude side of the teenager than that amount of timidness again. She just hoped that whatever had upset the girl so much would pass soon.