the first show

The first show went off without a hitch, thanks to Parr's writing abilities and despite the differences that had been obvious between the queens, they had managed to somehow not kill each other during rehearsals long enough to actually not make fools of themselves.

"I have to hand it to you, Parr. You are a genius." Anne was saying as she brushed her hair out of its space bun style, earning a look from Aragon.

"Don't think we don't know that it's because you got to basically call me a bitch without me slapping you." She stated, earning a smirk from the younger queen.

"You are a massive bitch." 

Anne retorted, only to have a makeup brush sail past her from where Aragon had tossed it.

"And you're a massive pain in the ass." 

Catherine Parr wondered if she should try to intervene but decided against it when her godmother walked past Boleyn, leaving a mark of bright blue makeup across the green Queen's face, proving the whole exchange was more light-hearted than anyone would have expected from the pair.

"Can you two hush? I swear it's like having three children around." Jane commented earning a glare from Katherine 

"I am not a child!" 

The teenager argued, causing everyone to retort at the same time:

"Sure you're not." 

"You know what? forget all of you!"

One look at Katherine would have told everyone that she wasn't really angry or serious and that the mood was practically infectious through the small group.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . __________★__________

Later that night after the celebrating was over and everyone had either calmed down or fell asleep, Maggie glanced over to Anne who seemed in a daze.

"You okay?" She asked, reaching over to take the older girl's hand only to earn a smile—which didn't reach the former Queen's eyes—before she answered softly 

"Yeah, I'm just thinking about Elizabeth. I just wish she was here with me, sharing this victory with me." Anne answered with a sigh, earning a sympathetic look from Maggie.

"I think she'd be really proud of you." 

"She would have been. She would talk about you all the time when she knew that Henry wouldn't hear. She always spoke about how you would teach her things and how much she missed playing with you in the gardens."

No one had noticed Parr standing in the doorway until then, however, her words caused Anne to tear up.

"I just get so tired sometimes. It's not fair ...not to any of us. Why did we get to come back when there were people we love that didn't get to?"