a chance

Katherine wasn't sure what was going on when a ginger blur nearly tackled her onto the couch, that was until she heard someone say 

"For heaven's sake Elizabeth, don't kill her.* 

And she froze, realization hit her like a ton of bricks.

"Elizabeth? Mary? How...wait….Is this what they wanted us here for?" Katherine asked, finally unfazed enough that she put an arm around Elizabeth.

"Yeah. It was...I can't believe it." Anne said from the doorway, smiling at the scene before her.

"Me either but you know what? I'm not even going to question it." Aragon's voice said in agreement from somewhere in the other room, causing Mary's eyes to grow wide. 

"Wait you two get along?" 

Elizabeth was the one to ask what both were thinking.

"They mostly get along. The first week or so was a headache." Anna retorted, laughing as Anne sent her a look.

"Conflicting personalities aside, we all figured out how to coexist...and semi get along most days." Aragon added in as she stood behind Anne.

"Okay, hold up. You two not only get along but live together?" Mary exclaimed, earning a laugh from Aragon who shrugged.

"It's easier and besides, someone has to remind Anne not to be late for rehearsal." 

_______★_______

Mary watched as her mother and Anne Boleyn of all people conversed, bantering more like friends than people who hated each other. 

Glancing over at Elizabeth—who was chatting with both Anna and Katherine—she thought about the years of resentment she had shown her younger sister, the extent she had gone to in order to try to erase the effects of Anne Boleyn from England.

She had wanted to avenge her mother in some way, but now...Now here she was joking with the woman who had ruined their lives.

But Anne didn't seem as terrible as Mary remembered her either, sharp tongued and sarcastic even in play but definitely not the monster she had always thought of her as. Sure, Anne had convinced Henry to declare her a bastard so Elizabeth could be next in line but hadn't they all made mistakes for one reason or another?

After all, it hadn't been Anne who had banned her from her mother's side or even the funeral.

Perhaps the person she hated the most hadn't been the Boleyn girl all along but her own father.

"Mary, are you alright?" 

Her half sister's voice broke her from her thoughts.

"Huh? Yes. I'm alright...just lost in thought." 

_______★_______

"You know, she's pretty good with kids." 

Anne half whispered, half snickered as she watched Katherine entertain the two youngest children in the gardens.

"Maybe she won't complain about boredom for the rest of this week." Jane chuckled just as Mary walked into the kitchen, Falk the greyhound trailing after her.

"As long as I'm not stuck playing nursemaid again, I'm fine with it."

She stated before shifting slightly nervously "I think we need to talk...Anne." 

Anne wasn't sure what to make of the teenager in front of her, remembering her at a similar age full of bitter anger and a sharp tongue. However this time, the girl seemed unsure, nervous even.

So with a nod, Anne followed her

_______★_______

"I know things between us back then wasn't the best...and I just wanted to say sorry for that. If you and my Mum can work it out then I guess I can give you a chance ...You and Elizabeth." 

Mary felt heat crawl into her face as she swallowed her pride and said this to the woman in front of her, only to earn a grin.

"Don't worry about it. The way Aragon and I figured it out was to leave the past in the past, sure we ride each other's ass during the show but despite all our bickering...We can build each other up. Just like Jane and I or Parr and I….We had to face our mistakes and issues and move past them." 

Anne stated just as Aragon came downstairs.

"Don't go corrupting my daughter. I already have to put up with you Corrupting Kat into a cadet of the order of chaos and I'm sure your gremlin is the same as you." Aragon retorted, although her tone was light, playful even.

It sounded strange to Mary, even if she had been told directly by her mother that they didn't hate each other.

"Ha-ha, very funny. At least they didn't name a dragon after me!" Anne retorted, earning a huff from the oldest queen who was—obviously to mary— trying not to roll her eyes.

"Real original. Now if you're done talking to my kid, I'd like to take her out and show her around London, it has changed since she was last here, after all."