questions

She wasn't nervous, she told herself. She had at least met some of these people in passing during her own days in court, and yet she couldn't quell the nervousness she felt as she was getting ready, especially as she tried to do something to hide the thick layer of scar tissue around her neck. 

"Kat? You ready?" Anne called, leaning in the opened doorway although her annoyance softened when she saw what the girl was doing.

"Hang on, I think I can help." She stared before leaving the room, coming back with a wide velvet band in one hand.

"Here, I bought these around a week ago. They don't irritate the skin and they do a good job at hiding it."

Katherine smiled at the gesture, although she shifted nervously as she glanced at it.

"Can you help me put it on?" 

She hated how her voice shook, how just the idea of having someone so close to her neck caused her hair to stand on end. It was just a necklace! It's not like she was was going to garrotte her or something.

"Yeah, sure. If it makes you uncomfortable though tell me.  I'll stop and get Anna to come do it." Anne stated, but Katherine didn't trust herself to answer verbally so she just replied with a nod and closed her eyes.

.    .        .      .        .            .           .  ____________★____________

"You know, I like your hair...even if our communal bathroom is now the color of candy floss." Anne commented, earning a small grin as she tightened the clasp a bit. She took note of how the younger girl flinched as her knuckles brushed against the wide band of scar tissue.

"Thanks. I saw this person with this neon green hair and I just...wanted to try, you know?" 

Anne hated the insecurity in the teenagers voice, as if she expected to be rebuked for restyling her hair of all things.

"It suits you." 

Anne said before pulling away and holding out a hand.

"Come on. We'll stick together tonight, yeah?" 

.    .        .      .        .            .           .  ____________★____________

"Oh, you do have a heart." 

Anne commented as she walked toward the cafe they were supposed to meet at only to see Aragon greeting the woman that had introduced herself to Anne as Maria with a hug.

"Go to hell, Boleyn." Maria retorted, earning a snicker from everyone but Maggie who shot her a look.

"Let's be civil, before we make people think we're all insane." Another woman—who Anne recalled had introduced herself earlier as Joan—stated before Anne could respond.

"For the sake of my own image, I'll agree to that. Besides— unlike two other people—I don't fancy standing in the rain." Aragon retorted before leading the way into the cafe, pushing Maria along in front of her. 

"Yeah, keep walking! You know I would win this argument!" Anne called, earning a light shove from Anna.

"Please, for the love of God and all things holy act your age for the night."

.    .        .      .        .            .           .  ____________★____________

She felt like a fish out of water even though everyone made an effort to include her. Everyone else was just too close, had too much to catch up on to really include her much in their conversations.

Maria, Maggie, and Anne were engaged in some kind of drinking contest using some kind of coffee that smelled like it could kill a horse. while Aragon swore she would lock Anne out of the house if she got too hyper.

Needless to say, it made Katherine feel like she was on the outside of the group looking in—even if she knew that they didn't mean to exclude her.

Why did they get a second chance with the people they loved when all her life the people that she had loved either had left her or hurt her? Why had it been impossible for people to genuinely like her for who she was when all the other queens had people that did?

Was there something wrong with her? Was that why no one cared about her side of the story? Why no one had cared that she died? 

"Kat? Are you alright?" Anne's voice shook her from her thoughts, although she only nodded.

"Yeah, I just need some air."