The Parent. (Chapter 4)

Age 23 

I had to plan so much, I had to get the kids day sorted whilst they ran riot, I had been late today meaning I had no time to pull on a fresh pressed shirt or even put on something to cover up the tattoos the kids loved but my colleagues hate having to push up my long sleeves as they were too baggy otherwise and just dragged in the kids work. I had arrived the moment the first parent had, I was stressed tired and one second away from calling in sick. My hand twitched for the one thing I promised myself I would never do again. I loved my job, I hated myself. Letting out a deep sigh I hang up the kid’s jackets and bags, the parents having dumped them on me as a little reward for arriving late and in a bad mood; even seeing the cheeky smiles and mismatched clothes didn’t calm me. My arms ache as I hook the bright pink and cartoon inspired jackets and follow them up with the lunch packs containing delicately placed and thought of food better than my own and contain the piled up chocolate bars that I would never let myself have. My misfits shirt being from Ryan who was broad and tall would have to get messy today as all I could do was sit down and let the kids paint which made me feel bad for not doing my job, but I had a headache, I had this burn in my throat and my eyes were constantly brimming with tears.

I hear a door open and I turn meeting the honey glazed eyes that haunted my dreams and kissed my nightmares; my heart stops in my body catching my breath from me and I feel my hands tremble a little; it’s him. He’s just stood staring at me whilst Ivy, the cute girl who I often praised for her skill in art and storytelling although often had to stand up for when others teased her- she was always late, she didn’t have a mother and she enjoyed everything I loved but the kids around her didn’t- I sometimes felt like she might just make it out of this alive, that when she grows up she’ll be better than those who were around her; it was hard for me to say but I believed it. She was an amazing little girl. Ivy Way. How hadn’t I put two and two together? I had never met her father in the few years I had been in some way her teacher; I had never thought it was him, sometimes two and two aren’t always best to be put together when I didn’t want to know the answers or face the fear of him never wanted to speak to him again. He stared at me with confusion written over his face and his eyes searched me, I had not changed since high school in fact I still looked like I belonged there, but he although still young looked good, amazing, his hair still thick but a little shorter and lighter; his eyes looked deeper and wiser but his youthfulness drained from the light in his eyes- I don’t think I had ever seen it even when I used to watch him from over the distance we are stood today.

I walk forward nervously wiping my hands on my jeans as I make a move. “Hi I’m Mr. Iero it’s a pleasure to meet you finally, are you ummm Mr. Way?” I hold my hand out, the arm without that tattoo, his tattoo.

He jumps as if startled by my voice before blushing and placing his cold hand in mine. “Yeah, call me Gerard, sorry we’re late had a stressful night and stuff.... whoa... um... okay... I.... umm... yeah.” He stutters adorably although I can see a look of embarrassment flash in his eyes; his hand leaves mine and I have to stop myself from growling out in disappointment at the feeling of his soft hands in my calloused hands with a heat pooling feel in the pit of my stomach.

“It’s no problem honest, I guess I’ll see you after school then, Gerard.” I smile at him showing my dimples and try to be friendly although disappointment sets in that he hasn’t recognised me as he turns and looks down to his rosy cheeked daughter. I guess the rumours were true.

I listen in on their conversation saying cute little things that only a father and daughter can share. “She’s really cute, you look like two peas in a pod, I hope to see you around more you’ve always been too busy to drop in.” I slip out watching them as she runs off to join her friends and see her settle in rolling her eyes to them at turning up late, again.