37

Before he could respond, Luke entered, Aaliyah's mom and Tracey trailing behind slowly.

I sat in a chair beside Aaliyah, Calum taking the seat beside me as the two of them sat beside Aaliyah's dad.

"She gave you trouble?" The mom asked me.

"No" I immediately spoke, looking to the young, exhausted girl.

The room went silent again.

"How long of a recovery time is this?" Tracey asked, her eyes meeting my own.

"Maybe a week or two- it depends on how she takes pain" I spoke slowly.

"When can we go home again?" Tracey asked after a moment.

"I'm not sure, it'll probably be a few more weeks" I spoke, wanting so badly to say 'you all can leave now, but please leave Aaliyah with me, thanks'.

I watched as Aaliyah shifted lightly, which shocked me- she should sleep for three or four hours.

I looked to her monitor, seeing everything normal, making me direct my attention back to her.

I looked to her face, which seemed to be in not such a deep sleep, but it was still relaxed enough to let me know she was sleeping

The dark circles that the poor girl never got a chance to get rid of

The blood blisters from herself and everyone else rubbing her tears away.

Her small body, almost cuddling into the sheets innocently.

I wanted her to be free

I wanted to never have to operate on her again

I wanted to be able to hug her, tell her I love her and give her the attention she so much desired.

I looked to her parents, who were both looking to Tracey as she whispered to them lightly

I wanted to do nothing but take her away from them.

"We're going to go into town for a little bit, if that's okay" the mom spoke, making us all look to them.

"With Tracey?" I questioned, knowing they had never brought her out of this hospital other than leaving to go home.

"If that's okay- yes, we heard about a restaurant we'd like to take her to"

Of course they'd go out as soon as Aaliyah isn't able to go.

"That's fine" I agreed bluntly.

The three of them immediately stood, leaving the room without another word.

I looked to Calum, who was already looking to me.

"Poor kid"