Part I: The Strangeness of Fredrick Street - Chapter 10

10

Unloading the shopping, the odd tin escaping from the bag and spinning across the worktop, Sarah was now in a rush against time to get ready for the guests arriving. On coming home from her trip to the shops, she'd went for a nap trying to sleep off the weird feeling she'd had all day. Her little siesta didn't help however, as it was filled with water tanks and grey rooms and the tinkle of a song from a forgotten time. She was still feeling tired now. Perhaps she was overdoing the exercise; perhaps she was over-tired and needed a lie in. Whatever it was though, it would have to wait because tonight was a celebration for the residents of Fredrick Street and she wasn't going to let her tiredness get in the way of it. Hell, she may even have some of the chip and dip she usually avoided. It was about time she let her hair down a little. The shopping away, she poured herself a glass of water from the sink and watched her husband and kids playing out in the garden. Well, playing was a strong word. Morgan was trying to build the BBQ whilst the kids shot at each other with water pistols, occasionally hitting their father with some friendly fire. Watching them play, without a care in the world, always seemed to make Sarah's problems feel smaller and her worries seem futile. Turning away to get the final preparations for this evening ready she took a sip of the water – and immediately spat it out, coughing and spluttering. It wasn't water she'd drank, but what tasted like pure grain vodka. Her throat burning, she picked up the glass and smelled it, the smell of alcohol stinging her nostrils. She looked at the glass then to the sink. It was impossible. She'd poured it straight from the sink. There was no way. Pouring the glass down the drain, she poured another glass and drank.

Water.

Her heart racing, she drank at the water long and hard. Something was happening. Something very strange was happening to Sarah Barr.

*

The ride home for Mark and Kim was nigh on silent, without even the radio playing to fill the silence between them. The scan had went fine, Kim having spent most of the journey putting it away and taking it back out again, checking to make sure it was still there whilst Mark continually glanced over to Kim to make sure that it was her face he saw when he looked. Of course, when either asked the other what was wrong, they replied with the same words. "I'm fine. You OK?" with the answer coming back the same. They'd tried to start talking about baby names but the conversation had tailed off, neither making the effort to start it up again.

Heading into the house, Kim stopped as they approached the front porch. Mark stepped forward to open the door when Kim grabbed his arm, stopping him suddenly.

Mark looked at her, worried. "What is it? What's the matter?"

Kim was quiet and staring at the porch. "Is it....you're going to think I sound crazy but, is it bad luck to walk where a magpie has been killed?"

Staring at her, silent & confused, Mark mouthed wordlessly. "What?"

Kim pointed at the porch. "It's just today, the cat brought a magpie to the door in its mouth. It was dead. He killed it I just...see the blood stains there and a few feathers? I cleaned up as best I could but...is it bad luck to walk where it's been killed?"

Mark thought for a moment. "For the cat, maybe." He smiled, and Kim managed to laugh.

"OK." She said, nodding and the two of them entered the house.

They entered slowly, Mark checking the pictures that adorned the table in the hallway and the mantelpiece in the living room. They contained pictures of Kim and him, just as they should be. He turned to Kim. "Has there been any more mail?"

Kim shook her head. "Nope, just what was here this morning. Why, are you expecting something?"

"No, no. Just wanted to double check." He paused, thinking of something. "You still want to go over to Sarah's?"