A Spy's Goodbye/ Epilogue

Start from the beginning

Natasha took one last look at Clint, then moved in and kissed his cheek before leaving with May. Once the doors closed, the spotlights were switched on, Clint's shirt was cut off, his hair was secured back in a blue net, an IV was placed, a breathing tube was shoved down his mouth, a blood pressure cuff was wrapped around his left bicep, his casted arm was tied off to the side to keep it out of the way, monitors were attached all over his body, his abdomen and chest were soaked in a sterile brown-tinted liquid, and then the scalpel made contact with his abdomen. 

Agent Melinda May was cautious about keeping Natasha's attention away from the doors of the operating room. "I know I don't show much emotion around here..." May turned around to see Natasha hanging her head as she spoke. She looked up at May. "I'm a different person around Barton. He's my partner...he saved me...and I couldn't save him."

When they reached Phil Coulson's office, Natasha was surprised to see everyone there. Coulson, Steve, Tony, Rhodey, Sam, Steve, Ward, Hill, Thor, May, Mack, Daisy, Bobbi, Hunter, Yoyo, Fitz, Piper, Davis, and even Nick Fury stood around the room, each holding a shot glass containing a small amount of whiskey. Lincoln and Bruce had left to assist Simmons and the other doctors with the operation on Barton. 

"W-what's everyone doing here?" Natasha asked nervously. She seemed confused when Davis handed her and May a shot of whiskey. 

There were a few seconds of complete silence before Agent Grant Ward spoke up. "Agent Barton's a fighter. Damn guy's hard to beat in a fight, I gotta admit it."

"Except for that one time when you knocked him out during a sparring session and you called me to carry him to the infirmary," Mack added, earning a few small chuckles from the surrounding agents. 

"He likes to annoy me in the lab. Of course, every time I say we need a monkey to test out a new invention, Bobbi either suggests Hunter of Barton," Fitz smiled softly. 

"Bobbi's had relationships with both. She's just getting her revenge," Yoyo smiled. Again, more laughter. 

"Barton taught me how to shoot a gun...Grant just likes to take the credit for it though." Daisy fumbled with her shot glass. 

"Hey, I worked with you every time Clint wasn't on base," Grant Ward perked up.

"Sorry we keep taking Hunger Games away from ya, Coulson," Tony said.

"Barton has been of great service to the Avengers," Thor commented, "I cherish his brotherhood."

"I was standing right here when Barton had his first surgery as a SHIELD agent...and the day after surgery, he came shakily walking in here. He was scared and said he had to get the hell out of there because a doctor told him he couldn't pick up his bow for eight weeks. He wasn't supposed to leave the infirmary for another week, but you all know how he can be." Coulson's comment had everyone nodding their head. "Just wait. He'll probably be walking through that door sooner than we think." He motioned to the open door. 

"I can't see him die..." Daisy had tears rolling down her cheeks. Mack wrapped an arm around her.

"Clint saved my life. He had orders to shoot me...but he didn't..." Natasha swallowed thickly. 

Another minute of silence happened before Fury held up his shot glass. "To Barton."

Everyone else lifted their glasses. "To Barton." Then they all tipped the whiskey into their mouth. 

21 Days

No one left Coulson's office that night. Agents brought in pillows, blankets, cots, and even dragged in two more couches just so they could all wait together. Several of them could not sleep that night, but the ones who did slept restlessly. More people cared about Clint Barton than Clint thought.