And still, neither realized how serious it was.

Two souls intertwined on accident left a powerful, invisible chain. It was even more impactful with two opposite souls.

Corrupting each other—or improving them? Well... it was still too early to tell.

Eden came back from her room to find him in sweatpants on the couch, looking pretty tired, which was unusual for him. She tied her robe around her waist and sat herself directly next to him.

"Why're you tired? You don't even need sleep."

"Just gotta relax and replenish some energy. C'mere," he hummed, arms wrapped around her tightly.

Some reality show was playing on TV, but neither were really watching. Just enjoying the other's company. She was even playing with his hair, and admiring his horns.

It was such a weird feature to adore, but she'd noticed each demon had unique ones. And she liked how they looked on him.

"So, I've been wondering is it possible for you to get someone pregnant?"

"Uh—what, Eden?" Ethan spluttered, sitting them both up so he could make eye contact. "Technically yes, but it would be bad. That's not something you want right? We haven't even known each other that long. And I thought you were—"

"Oh my god, calm down. I'm still on birth control," she snorted, watching him ease immediately. "I don't ever want kids. I was just curious. Why, what would happen?"

"It's... very illegal. Even us just hooking up. We'd probably both be slaughtered if a baby was involved."

Her eyes widened. "I didn't know we weren't even allowed to hookup."

Ethan bit his lip. He maybe should've told her sooner. But he didn't want to for selfish reasons.

"Yeah, uh, sorry. We might not be killed for it but it wouldn't be good. We can, um, stop... if that's what you want."

Eden shook her head, kissing him. "I'm not scared of a little danger."

That was probably the hottest thing Ethan could hear. Of course, her phone rang before he could say anything.

She didn't even put it on speaker but Ethan couldn't help but overhear the conversation with her mom. He had good hearing, and the volume was pretty loud on its own.

"Hi sweetie! Just calling to see what you've been up to lately. You haven't called in a while,"

"Hey, mom. I'm sorry, I've been really busy with work and school lately. Nothing all that new," Eden lied through her teeth.

But, how was she supposed to tell her mom she'd been having a fling with a demon?

"That's alright. I hope things are going good there! How's your roommate, Daphne?"

As Eden talked to her mom, Ethan just listened here and there. She was trying to get off the phone and call her later, but when moms start talking they have trouble stopping.

"Oh! I'm so excited to see you. When are you getting home?"

Shit. Eden forgot about spring break.

She'd previously made plans to drive home for spring break, but that was before her life changed. And now it was in a couple of days.

"Um... I'm not sure I'll be able to, actually."

That was a lie. Sure, she could, but she'd rather stay on campus. Not that she disliked her family, but campus would be quiet and she'd just get to see Ethan a lot.