II

"Why am I just now finding out you helped a mortal for nothing in return?" Ethan's boss, Dagon shouts. His voice booms off the walls in the small room he confronts him in.

Ethan inhales sharply, trying to come up with an excuse. "It was a slow day, and I pissed off some angels. It won't happen again."

"No, it won't. You're not an angel anymore, kid. We aren't in the business of good deeds. You're going to make up for this."

"How?"

"Figure something out!" Dagon shouted, a whip of fire lashing at Ethan's chest. He seethes in pain before immediately leaving to talk to other demons and make a plan.

Meanwhile, Eden walked over to her brand new Jeep, twirling her keys as someone jogged up behind her.

"Nice Jeep," the boy from her class, Adam, smiles, gaining her attention. "That test sucked, right?"

"I'll be luckily if I got a D," she groaned. The spring weather had arrived a little early—it was warm enough for her to walk around without a jacket.

"So... we're having a little party tonight. You should come," Adam licked his lips and glanced her up and down. "I'd love to see you there."

Eden nodded slowly, considering his offer. "Yeah, I think I can stop by. I'll see you then,"

Adam waved as he left, and she climbed into her car to drive home.

It'd been about two weeks since she encountered Ethan, and hadn't heard anything since. It was almost disappointing.

Going back to your regular life after a demon shows up wasn't as fun. And it's not like she could tell anyone.

Daphne was home, but studying in her own room so Eden left her be.

However, she came out just as Eden was about to start getting ready. "Ooh, going to the party?"

"Yeah, Adam invited me and I figured I hadn't been out in a while," she shrugs, flipping through some of the clothes in her closet. "I usually work weekends a lot, y'know?"

"Trust me, I noticed," Daphne laughs quietly. "Wanna get ready and walk over together?"

Daphne was trying to get closer to Eden. They lived together, but their work and life schedules were practically opposite.

She was dating one of the guys in the fraternity that was throwing the party. They threw them pretty often, but it was supposed to be smaller than usual tonight, maybe 30 or 40 people compared to the usual couple hundred. That was the plan, anyway. It didn't always end up staying like that.

So the girls got ready together, and Daphne insisted on doing her makeup as they talked. It was nice.

Driving home wouldn't be happening, so they were walking to the party—it was only about a 15 minute walk, and the neighborhood was decent.

"Oh, I'll probably just stay the night here so if you wanna head back don't worry about me. I'm gonna go find Jason," Daphne waved as they arrived, heading off into the small crowd.

Let's just say Eden wasn't too close to anyone at the party.

Most of the friends she made in college her freshman year were a little older, and had all pretty much graduated now. She knew Daphne through mutual friends which is why they moved in together, but even they weren't close.

The one close friend that didn't graduate yet had to transfer closer to home. So Eden didn't really have anyone she was close to anymore, which is why she went to the party in the first place. To branch out again.