Chapter 35 - Upgrade

Chip upgrade? What's that about? TV, do you think they've discovered me?

This appears to have been a broadcast message. I do not have reason to believe that the Borae are aware of you.

Brian sighed. He didn't know what to make of this development. But he was sure about one thing. It couldn't be good. It might be time to talk to Aunt Carol again, he thought.

He texted Jessica. Hey, you can hold off on asking my aunt about you know what. I think I'm going to need to talk to her myself.

Jessica was able to arrange a meeting, and Brian met Carol at the same diner they had spoken at previously.

"We are aware of the upgrades," Aunt Carol said. "They began a few weeks ago."

"Do you know what they are for?" Brian asked.

Carol leaned her head back and just looked at Brian for a moment, as if deciding what to tell him. "The upgrades will give the Borae new capabilities."

"Like what?"

"Observers will no longer require external devices to send information to the aliens."

Brian's eyes widened. "You mean, like the payphones?"

Carol raised an eyebrow. "What about payphones?"

"I mean, the, the phone you gave me. Like that?" Brian stammered, realizing Aunt Carol wouldn't be aware of his conversation with Jim Watkins.

"Yes," she said, simply. "And, more significantly, we believe they will be able to directly control Observers."

"They can't already do that?" Brian hadn't really thought about how that worked.

"With the old technology, they can only send instructions. The Observer's brain figures out how to carry out those instructions. The Borae have learned there are limits to what they can make an Observer do. But the new chips will solve that. Once everything is in place, nothing will be able to stop them from triggering the next world war." Carol said all this in a clinical manner as if she weren't considering the implications.

Brian shuddered. "How do we stop them?"

She looked at him coolly. "We have plans in place."

"Of course you do," Brian said, shaking his head.

"As I told you before, when I don't tell you something, it is for a good reason."

Brian's face flushed. "Okay, how about you don't tell me anything about Project 84, next."

Carol's eyes narrowed. "Where did you hear about that?" she said, pointedly.

Brian shrugged. "When I don't tell you something, it's for a good reason."

Be careful, Brian.

It's okay. I think I know how she operates.

A hint of anger flitted on Carol's face, soon replaced with a faint smile. "Touché."

"Tell you what," Brian said, not taking his eyes off Carol's face, "you tell me what you know about it, and I'll tell you how I heard of it."

She looked at him, her gaze appraising. "Okay," she said finally, "I'll play ball." After a pause, she said, "You first."

"Fine," Brian said, flatly. "I came across an email at Talon that mentioned it."

"Jack Martin?"

Brian gave a curt nod.

"The fool," she said in a strangled tone, and then added, "Is that all you've got?"

Brian smirked. "You tell me."

Carol sat back a bit in her chair and took a long breath. "Project 84 is related to the chip upgrades. In order to access the new chips, the Borae needed new transponders."

"Satellite transponders?" Brian said, leaning forward.

"What else have you heard?" Carol said, in a low voice.

"Oh, you know," Brian said, casually, "just things I've gathered, here and there. I have sources."

"You're playing a dangerous game," Carol said, coolly.

Brian sighed and pursed his lips. "We're all playing a dangerous game. And I think the less a player knows about the game he's playing, the more dangerous it becomes."

"Don't you understand? Everything I do is for the good of others. Fine. Let's be open with each other. Tell me what else you know."

"I know it's a government-sponsored project, involving surrounding the planet with spy satellites."

Carol nodded. "That's true."

"Tell me more about the upgrade," Brian said.

"The process involves implanting a new chip. This new chip links to the original, and enhances it."

"Do you have any agents that have gone through the process?"

"No, it would be too dangerous. We intercepted some prototypes of the new chips and ran some tests. The signal they operate on penetrates the earth, even to the depth of the bunker. If we put a new chip in someone, we risk exposing ourselves to the Borae." She hesitated, and then added, "Brian. There may come a time when I will need you to return to the bunker. When that happens, can I trust you to come immediately?"

Brian frowned. "Why?"

Carol didn't answer. She just looked at Brian thoughtfully for a moment and nodded.