Chapter One

Hi all,

I've started to re-write this story and here is the first chapter of the new version. I hope you like it, let me know if you have any tips or opinions; constructive criticism only, no need to be rude.

Thanks :)

***

"What the hell is wrong with you Katia?" my mother yelled as we walked through the front door, slamming it closed behind her.

"Whatever are you talking about mother?" I put on a fake sweet voice as I spoke, I knew she wouldn't like it.

"Don't be smart with me young lady." She said pulling her golden hair from where it was held in a bun on the top of her head.

"Whatever, it wasn't even that serious."

"Not that serious? Not that serious? I just bailed you out of jail, I would say that counts as pretty damn serious." Her small frame tense and her fake tanned face red with annoyance as she spoke.

"I'm sorry, did you just say you bailed me out of jail? That would imply you actually parted with money to get me out and I'm positive that didn't happen"

"Are you really choosing this moment to imply that I used another method of getting you out?"

"I really have no idea what you're on about mother, all I was saying was that I wasn't in 'jail' I was in a holding cell and they aren't even pressing charges; therefore no 'bail' was required."

"They may not be pressing charges, but you were still arrested and that's on your permanent record; along with everything else you have done wrong in the last year or so. Tell me, where did I go wrong with you? Do you know how embarrassing it is to have to pick my daughter up from the police station and for everyone to know about everything you do wrong?" Now we are getting somewhere, right down to the real reason she's so upset; I have once again embarrassed her.

"How bout we start with that, the fact that not once since picking me up have you asked if I was okay; all you care about is that everyone in town will know and I will have once again embarrassed you."

"I honestly don't know what to do with you anymore, the bright red hair I'm fine with, the piercings I can accept; heck I can even handle the fact that your tattoo artist boyfriend gave you a tattoo without my permission or you being of legal age to get one; but getting into trouble with the police is going too far."

I didn't think she even knew about the tattoo, but then again, I never really put any effort into hiding it from her either and it is fairly large.

"Be real, you've never known what to do with me, I've been doing everything for myself since we moved here; I work two jobs just to keep the lights on and have food on the table."

"How dare you speak to me that way, I am your mother and you will respect me." This made me let out a laugh of disbelief, I know I shouldn't have but I just couldn't help it.

She didn't deny it though, the things I said; she knows it's true and she can't even try to deny it.

"Whatever, I'm going to bed; you just do what you do best and try to find a way to forget it ever happened." And with that I dragged myself upstairs in the direction of my room.

As I made my way through the hallway, I couldn't help but notice the few photos that hung on the walls, none of them recent; all of them were from what felt like another life. One of them caught my eye more than the rest, it was of a small brunette child standing in the kitchen of a now unfamiliar house showing off a painting she'd been working all week for dad and she was as happy as could be; I struggle to remember that kid even though it was me.