Raging frost

"You should always avoid being fooled by a kiss, or kissed by a fool." -unknown

Viola's POV

               I wonder how much ice it would require to freeze him solid for a couple of minutes; can't be more than the lake I used to freeze over with dad. His lips entice me to go on, but there's someone injured staring at us, and I'm still foggy headed at whatever happened with Callence. I reach out to his chest to push him away, but Varla beats me to the punch.

"Kilian? Would you be a dear and help me with these wounded men?" Her voice soft as silk rings out. His lips that were once warming mine are now replaced with the ghost of them— and I'm sad to see them leave. I open my eyes to find him staring at me in a strange way, calmly. Almost too calm, as he glances at Varla tensely.

           "Well? I don't have all day." Varla chatters to herself, walking away from us— but not without giving me a cautioning look. I sigh as Kilian stands broad and tall, just inches away from Callence. His shadow falls over the wounded man's face as Kilian's is a mask of eerie calmness. In a split second I watch as Kilian crouches down to Callence on the floor, looking as murderous as ever; as if he'd strike a man while he was down. But really, what can you expect from a demon?

             My lips start to sting from the roughness of his kiss, and I raise my hand to touch them. Whispers of ice soothe my sore mouth as Kilian whispers something menacingly towards Callence, and without another glance in my direction, he walks away.

     The bucket of water left untouched on the ground, and the departing shoulders of Kilian is all I see as I start to shudder suddenly.

             I try to repress the urges that quake over my body, whimpers threatening to spill from my mouth. What was happening?

            Callence groans in pain again, but glances up at me warily for a minute— watching my harsh but controlled movements. He raises an eyebrow as I clench my jaw, pain erupting in my veins. I let out a shocked gasp, never before feeling that subzero temperature before.

            "You okay there? You look a bit—" Callence tries to get out his sentence, but is interrupted by the shout I let out. I fall to my knees suddenly, and hear my body crunch as the ice threatens to spill from me. My ice was trying to take control of me. Dad said this would happen if I hadn't learned to control it properly, but I had done all the lessons with him. Was this because we stopped our daily training? Why was this happening to me?

"Take—" I force out of my clenched teeth. I close my eyes, trying to focus on myself, on what was happening. By now, a couple of warriors were starting to become aware of the way I was acting— taking cautioned steps towards me. I can hear Kilian when he notices too— a sharp inhale of breath and a stop in his movements as he realizes something is wrong.

"Kilian—" Varla says his name as he moves farther away from her in the presence of my suffering.

I open my eyes as I feel them crystallize over, my pupils and and eyelashes becoming lined with a layer of frost.

"Take cover." I force out as others start to murmur, not realizing what a blast from me can do. This was truly the worst time for me to lose control of my ice— given my dad isn't here to help and we had just been attacked, wounded warriors not having the option to get away from me.

"Vi," Kilian reaches me breathless as I shake and convulse, trying to hold the currents in. "Tell me what to do— tell me what you need." He says in a hopeless tone, not understanding what was happening. By now, my tongue has stopped moving, numbing to the freezing temperature in my body.

My own body was betraying me. I was supposed to be healing these warriors and going to the graveyard— but instead this is happening. What the prophecy foretold is happening, and I had no idea why. I wanted to cry out for help, but I knew that they couldn't help me. I wanted to scream at them to get away from me— knowing that I was a ticking time bomb. At any moment, I'd blow, and all of the warriors and innocents around me would be frozen. Kilian would be frozen.

I let out a shriek as I feel the last of my fight draining from me, losing to my own ice. To my own power. I couldn't keep this up for long, they needed to get away from me. The ground beneath me starts to coat itself in frost, leaking out from my body in puffs of what appeared to be smoke. Dry ice.

            "All of you, get away from her at this instant." Varla says, tugging Kilian away from me.
           "Her ice is taking over, you all need to take cover. Grab as many of the wounded as you can and move!" She shoves Kilian as he refuses to move his feet away from me. I can see his eyes turn his murderous shade of black, but Varla doesn't care much about his anger.

           "You'll be of no use to her if you're frozen, trust me on this one." She whispers in a hushed voice. My body contracts and I let out another uncontrollable scream, echoing through the trees as I hear Claire's panicked questions.

           They were always the same questions. What was going on? Is she okay? What is happening to her? We can't just leave her there!

      My ears tune out the sounds of everyone as I feel my last shred of consciousness thaw away from me, taking away what little control I had.

                 I can only hope that they were wise enough to run as far as they could.

          As my ice takes over— I black out; and nothing had ever been as peaceful.

Happy Halloween everyone :)