Chapter 1

...

"Let me get this straight," I say, waving my hands around in the air to emphasize how pissed I am. "You booked me for a charity event put on by the Killians? The same family who tried to destroy my mother's career?"

My managers, Kristen and Matthew Carre, look at each other with calculating expressions before returning their stern gazes to me. "Yes, we did," replies Matthew. "The bad blood between the Malcolms and the Killians must come to an end. We can no longer allow it to limit you in either audience or arena. You have reached the level of fame where your actions will be judged harshly, and if people notice you do not agree to perform in places managed by the Killian's company, there will be a major backlash."

"That is correct. Fans can be fairly observant," Kristen chimes in, as she's tapping away at her cellphone. "In addition, we believe if there is good blood between you and the son, Jasper, it will be an added benefit to your career as a musician. He is a prodigy as a businessman and a talented, up-and-coming producer. Not only that, but he's your age and the rumor being spread throughout the press is he has almost surpassed his father, a top producer in the United States!" she continues, finally looking at me to drive her point home.

I look between them, infuriated by their insensitivity to the situation at hand. The Killian family blackmailed my mother until she had no choice but to quit their agency. They spread rumors and lies in order to end her dancing career solely because she would not give up her passion in order to help them train new phony pop stars whose only "dreams" were to have fame and fortune.

"You do realize this won't actually work out the bad blood between our families right? Rose Grey will be making the alliance through the performance, not me, and if I remember the contract correctly, it states that my identity will, under no circumstances, be revealed. We did this so I could be given the chance to make a name for myself without the pressure or support of my mother's career. This was signed the day I started with your company."

"And we understand this, Olivia, it's not our intention to do any more than remove the limitations you've placed on yourself and give you an opportunity to shine brighter than you already are," Kristen states and a confirming nod is offered by Matthew.

"Fine, I'll do the event considering it is being run by Jasper himself and not his parents. I don't hold him responsible for his parents actions, however, I will by no means allow Julia or Robert Killian to abuse me the way they did my mother, and if I discover any such thing, the show is off."

"Understood," Matthew agrees, offering a proud smile at my show of confidence. Kristen rolls her eyes and heads off to start preparations for the trip to the Killian Estate.

I return to my room and my only task is to pack my own items, as in, Olivia Malcolm's. The rest of the amazing staff handles Rose Grey's costumes, makeup, wigs, et cetera, which is pretty nice because the popstar has a lot of stuff. I throw the leather suitcase on my bed and neatly pack a couple of stylish outfits and a few pairs of shoes that should match with all the clothes. As I'm rushing around my room to find toiletries and other items of importance, I find myself drawn to the full-length mirror in my bedroom. I sigh as I stare at my reflection. My genetically full brown hair, my bright, almond-shaped hazel eyes, my darkly-tanned skin, my slender figure, and my cut, yet feminine features, all thanks to my Mom, and the gym of course. I like to check myself in the mirror sometimes to remind myself that I'm still human even when I'm dressed as Rose, and even through the fame and fortune. I'm grateful for it all because it really has given me a lot, a great education, no loans or debts to pay off, most of the time it's fun work, and I get to be somewhat closer to Mom.

She passed away about six years ago, when I was seventeen, about seven months before I decided to join Carre Records. Honestly, I never really wanted to go into the music industry because I saw how much stress and anxiety it gave Mom. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved music and would sing my own songs even before I could walk, but I never wanted to make it a career. Mom always supported me in my decisions when it came to things I was passionate about and she never forced me to do anything I wasn't ready for, unless, she knew it was the only way for me to be ready.