Chapter 13 - Battle for Skull Island part 1

A pale sun had risen on this new day on Skull Island. A morning imbued with the sign of fear. All the fauna of the island seemed to have felt inside them. The herds of herbivores fled, the flocks of birds flew into the air, abandoning their nests ..... the balance of the island began to dangerously collapse.

Moana, Maui, Rapunzel, Flynn, and Tim had been running for the rest of the night, fleeing through the thick, damp jungle, still hearing in the distance the awful and fierce roars of the giant Skull Crawler, coming closer more and more. He tracked them down. Moana felt her heart racing as she ran, not only because of the intense fear she felt about the monster chasing them, but also because of the sadness she felt ..... through Wagner's fault and his men, Kong had been seriously injured and could not do the weight against the Skull Crawler .... now, Kong was most likely dead, which devastated the young woman of Motunui .... without him, nothing could not stop the devil of the island from ruling as an absolute master.

The group had finally emerged from the jungle and was now running through wide swampy plains surrounded by cliffs and small granite mountains covered with climbing vegetation. The wet and muddy terrain made progress very difficult. Flynn helped Rapunzel, taking her by the hand. But as she ran, Moana suddenly decided to stop, right in the middle of the bog, and face determined, turned to face the edge of the jungle that was now several hundred meters.

Seeing her doing, the others also stopped running.

_ "Moana, what are you doing?!" Rapunzel asked, raising her eyebrows, worried.

_ "Keep going, I'll get his attention on me!!" she replied firmly, her eyes focused, although she was trembling with certain fear. The rest of the group wondered if she had lost her mind.

_"Are you crazy or what?" Maui retorted, strongly opposing this idea. "You come with us!"

_ "Hurry up, he'll be here!!" Flynn screamed, panicked. Maui stepped forward to grab Moana by the wrist and force her to come, but with a simple, steady look over her shoulder towards her demigod friend, Moana gave an order to the water around her, a wall of water forming between her and Maui, separating them.

_ "Moana! No!!" Maui screamed, trying to pass through the wall of water, which oddly enough, was as hard as a stone wall. Rapunzel, Flynn and Tim, seeing this, tried to pass as well, but without success.

_ "Moana, don't do this!!" begged Tim.

_ "You don't have to sacrifice yourself for us!!" added Rapunzel, on the verge of tears. Seeing the troubled reflections of her friends behind the wall of water, striking and pleading for her to come back, Moana felt her throat knot, and tears born on the corners of her eyes.

_ "I'm sorry ....." she sighed, before continuing to face the jungle armed with her simple spear. She knew full well that she had no chance of defeating that monster, but at least she could give her friends enough time to escape from that hell. Moana was standing upright, feeling her hand tremble, her heart pounding hard and the sweat forming on her forehead.

The earth shook in a steady rhythm of heavy and fast footsteps, then, the trees of the edge of the jungle were suddenly crushed or spread, by the arrival of the imposing Skull Crawler, whose disguting jaw covered with scars left escape a furious grunt. The monster sniffed profusely around him, only to finally see this young human woman, alone, several hundred meters away from him, facing him as if she were waiting for him. Moana was very scared, but tried not to show it.

_ "Do you claim to be master of this island?!" she exclaimed provocatively, dismissing her arms forcefully "But know that you will never be the king!"

Hearing this, the Skull Crawler roared with fury and rushed towards this insolent little prey, which he was going to be happy to crush like the insect she is. On the other side of the water wall, the rest of the group had also heard the roar, only accentuating their fears.