Chapter 11 - The Link

After a relatively short night but still allowing them to find some strength, Moana and her friends had now a new goal: to reach the nearest coast of the island. For this, the natives gave the small group two of their canoes and showed them the surest way to follow on the riverbed to avoid the biggest creatures that lived hidden in the water.

Tim and Flynn were busy putting down the bags of provisions given by the tribe in the dugouts. Moana, Rapunzel and Maui joined them on the small wooden pontoon bordering the big river still asleep. A shy sun had risen a few hours ago and already, echoes of the first creatures of the island were heard in the forests and mountains around. The island was waking up again.

The natives had all come back, again silent and serious, and regarded the departure of the little group with a neutral air. Before leaving, Maui turned to them, split between the joy of leaving and leaving this island, but also sad to have to leave those people who had been so good to him and had taken care of him. Standing before the leader of the natives, an old man with faces wrinkled with wrinkles and symbols, Maui bowed respectfully before him, and the latter did the same. Moana and the others watched in silence, but also thanked the tribe for helping them.

_ "I probably could never repay the debt I owe you, but ..... know that I'll never forget you ...." Maui said, with a twinge in her heart. The natives said nothing or expressed nothing, as they usually do, but Maui knew they were also touched by those words as they nodded slowly. From one of the canoes, Rapunzel was sitting, making a sketch of this tearing goodbye on a piece of paper.

Once the farewells were done, the two canoes slowly left the river, beginning their new journey across the island, under the eyes of the tribe, who for one last goodbye, raised all their hands in unison towards the group. Moana and her friends saw them and also gave a last goodbye to this lost and forgotten people.

For most of the day the two canoes sailed the calm, gray waters of the great river that seemed to cross the whole island, amidst the great mountains and huge trees like cages of wood and greenery. While paddling, the group could contemplate the life that blossomed around them. Flocks of strange creatures, like deer-toothed hinds, giant buffaloes, or other strange herbivores, came peacefully to the river, watching the two canoes with curiosity, but nothing more. Flocks of birds of a thousand colors flew up into the sky in a concert of squeals. Although being a hell, this island still offered unparalleled beauty.

Flynn, Rapunzel and Tim were on the first canoe, Flynn and Tim holding the oars while the princess, marveling at what she saw around her, was trying to make other drawings of the creatures she saw. On the second canoe, Moana and Maui were rowing in rhythm, this situation bringing them back to some memories.

_ "So what will we do when we get to the coast?" Moana asked.

_ "We will try to build a large raft so we can leave the island, and with all the wrecks on this island, it should not be too difficult to find materials."

It seemed like a good plan, but Motunui's young woman could see that her friend seemed worried, even though he was trying to hide it.

_ "Maui? What's wrong?"

Taken by the fact, the demigod did not try to hide it any more, and sighed heavily, gloomily.

_ "What worries me is that one of those monsters, the skull crawlers, swallowed my hook. I tried to defend myself, but they were too many...."

Moana now understood what was upsetting her friend. One of these demons was in possession of the magic hook. Without him, Maui could no longer use his powers. She put her hand on Maui's shoulder, smiling at him determinedly.

_ "We'll get it back, I promise you."

Maui smiled too, and nodded forcefully.

Towards the end of the day, as the new twilight was born in the sky, the group decided to stop for the night, on a small secluded and deserted bank, sheltered by a grove of tall trees at the foot of a big cliff. According to Maui, at this rate, they would reach the coast tomorrow at the end of the morning. But after a whole day rowing, they needed rest.