35. Unexpected

I woke up to a loud thump.

"Fuck, did I wake you?" Tyler looked over, picking up his phone from the wood ground.

"Mm," I yawned, watching him climb on the bed over to me.

"How'd you sleep?" his eyes trailed my face before placing a kiss on my cheek.

"Last night wasn't a dream?" I laughed.

"Damn, you liked it that much?" he smiled.

I diverted the question.

"Can we talk about everything though?"

Tyler sighed, not wanting to get into all the details. I still wanted closure from that.

"I'm sorry again. For all that. I just wanted you to be safe. You scared me, though. I didn't think you'd react like that—,"

"Nadine how the fuck was I supposed to react? you fucking him broke me. That nigga was everything I hated—and for you to do that..." he shook his head, "I couldn't even fucking look at you."

"I'd never cheat on you on purpose. You know that."

"I'd rather take the risk."

"Don't say that."

He moved the covers over him as his elbow propped him up.

"You know how I am. I don't want no nigga looking at you; touching you, flirting with
you—I don't like that–,"

"But did you have to kill him?" I looked up at him, my eyes tracing his perfect skin.

"I didn't have a choice."

I didn't reply.

"I-I thought you were gonna kill me."

He let out a laugh.

"You know I'd never even put my hands on you..." he bit his bottom lip, his mouth making its' way to my ear. "Unless you want me to."

I pushed him away when he began to touch me.

"You made me go fucking crazy."

"I had to process everything, Nadine. It wasn't easy."

"You saw the way I acted—it wasn't me," I remembered the moments when I had practically begged him to talk to me.

He smiled.

"Now you can't get rid of me."

...

I was in class when I got a call from an unknown number. I scrunched my eyebrows as I made my way out of the class and answered it.

"Hello?"

"You are receiving a call from Los Angeles County Jail. To accept the call, please press one."

I pressed it, thinking it was probably a wrong number dial.

"Nadine, it's Tyler."

"What the fuck?!"

"People caught me assaulting this nigga that owned me money at the shop. Cops was around the corner and got me—,"

"Fuck Tyler, I told you to be careful–,"

"I told them it was self defense. I called my lawyer but he said he got his hands full. Uh, there's another lawyer that he recommended that imma meet later."

"I'm on my way."

"You don't have to come, I already paid bail. I'll meet you for lunch in an hour. The lawyer meeting me there."

"Is he pressing charges?"

"They're taking the phone, I gotta go."

"Tyler—,"

Click.

Fuck, this wasn't the first time he was caught with something, which would make the case harder. I was just hoping he'd get out of it quick.

...

I met Tyler at a coffee shop where he told me everything.

"His wife pressing charges. He's just going with it 'cus his wife and kids don't know he's doing coke. That would fuck him up. So if he snitches we both going down."

"What if he does?"

"He won't." He was so sure of it. He didn't even seem anxious at all.

Just then, a slim woman in a tailored suit walked in. Her heels clicking with every step. She looked around the crowded shop for a familiar face.

Tyler cursed.

"Fuck, that can't be her."

"The lawyer?"

"I think that's her."

Before he could finish, he caught her attention. She walked over to us, stopping as her facial expression changed when she got a good look at him.

"Tyler?" she looked at his features.

"Rick didn't tell me you'd be taking his place; I get if you don't wanna work—,"

"No, no. It's fine. This is just crazy," she smiled. "Who knew we were gonna end up meeting like this?"

"Just how you always said I would, huh?" he put his hands in his pockets. He smiled a little.

She looked out at the window at his white McLaren.

"You don't look like you're doing too bad." Her heels clicked as she got closer to Tyler. "You look good." She eyed his body up and down.

It made me uncomfortable.

"You too," he pulled the chair so she could take a seat. He was quick to divert the attention.

"Oh, this is my girlfriend, Nadine."

Her eyes darted over to me. It was obvious she didn't notice me at first. She took out her hand.

"Danielle."

"Nice to meet you." I was still unsure.

"It's a shame, I always thought you'd never get over me." She looked over at Tyler.

"I didn't either."

"You were obsessed with me, remember?" she chuckled.

"Guess it worked out, though." Tyler looked back at me, taking my hand into his across the table.

Danielle straightened up, clearing her throat.

"Anyway, about the case..."