13. Hollow

It had been three days since we last spoke. I fucking hated this thing he did.

Tyler would play with me until he didn't; and he didn't text, call, or even let me know what the fuck was going on with him during that time.

It pissed me off that he suddenly disappeared and came back when he wanted to play with me again. It was infuriating.

I had gone to the shop next door after work only to be told he was busy doing business. Whatever the fuck that meant.

I came out of my thoughts as Frank walked int my house unannounced, an apple in his hand.

"How was work?" He asked, falling back into the couch.

It was 8pm, and it had been about an hour since I got home.

"Boring. You?"

"Same."

It fell silent as I made myself a sandwich.

"So are you gonna tell me or what?" He bit into his apple as he sat up on the couch.

"Huh?"

"Are you and Tyler a thing?"

I turned to glare at him from across the room.

"Look, I don't know who goes to Bel-Air on a Sunday afternoon, unless you're with Tyler. And the fact that I've seen his Mclaren parked a block away a few times makes it obvious."

I sighed. I couldn't fucking lie now.

"It's complicated."

"So you are!"

"I don't know what we are. We're just doing stuff."

"Then why the fuck didn't you tell me?" He got up from the couch.

"Because then you'd say what you always say."

He leaned on the kitchen counter.

"And what's that?"

"That I don't need a drug dealer boyfriend in my life."

He chuckled.

"You know I have my opinions on niggas. That shouldn't stop you from telling me all this shit, Nadine."

"Well now you know."

It fell silent before he began again.

"So has he taken you to his place yet or what?"

I turned around, excited that he was intrigued.

"Bitch you're not gonna believe me..."

I told Frank everything. The first charity event, the mansion, bel-air, everything.

He sat there with his eyes wide, taking in everything like it was a reality tv show.

"And you waited this fucking long to tell me?!"

"I didn't know how you'd react!"

"Ok so about the whole ghosting you thing. What're you gonna do?"

"I mean I can't really do anything because we aren't even in a relationship or whatever. It wouldn't make sense."

He nodded, agreeing.

"Let it ride out."

...

Once Frank left, it was a little after 9pm.

I looked down at my phone—still no fucking sign of Tyler. I couldn't just 'ride it out.' I had to know; fuck, I didn't realize I was taking on  his characteristics. Was I becoming obsessive?

I entertained the idea of going to the store to see if he'd be there.

The more I thought about it, the quicker it became a reality. I threw on a hoodie, holding the keys in my hand as I debated one last time.

Before I knew it, I was on my way there.

As I reached the usual spot, I parked slightly away from the location; but just enough to be able to see what I needed to.

There was a black SUV parked outside. I turned off my car as I realized there was people in the back, but I couldn't tell who.

About ten minutes passed before I saw another pretty girl walk out, adjusting her dress as she waited. I watched intently as Tyler appeared a few seconds later. He shouted something to someone in the store before laughing and placing his hand on her lower back. They got into the SUV.

I was growing angrier by the second.

I decided to follow the SUV, letting a few cars in front of me so that I wouldn't be noticed. Of course, I quickly noticed we were driving into the same area from the first event he had taken me. Only this time at a different house.

It was larger than the other, and this time, it was gated.

"Fuck,"

I wasn't going to be able to get in any further. I hit my steering wheel in frustration, annoyed that I could be so fucking stupid to believe I was the only one he would be interested in. He had endless options to be with whoever he wanted to be with; it was probably why he wouldn't settle down with me. I wondered how many other girls had a fucking spare house key.

I knew I had to end it. I was wasting my time chasing something I could only grasp in my dreams.