BEING IN DENIAL

The sunlight streams into the window of her room. It's nine in the morning and there's a loud sound, it's an old song titled "When I met you".

It's Cumin's grandmother who sets the morning with her long playlist of this classic.

She woke up trying to reach her phone to check the time.

"Shit, I'm late"

Rushing around, preparing to go to school; took a bath and get her usual shirt-pants-vans to wear

The smell of toasted bread ferments the living room

"I'm leaving now." She said doing her shoelaces

"You haven't eaten yet." Her grandmother said.

Cumin and her older brother; Thyme are living with their grandparents in mother's side since they were a kid. Their father passed away at an early age, Cumin was 3 years old that time while her brother was 7. That's why their mom had no choice but to leave the country to work and to support the family since then.

"I will! Maybe on my way"

"It's too early to go in cinema!" my brother yelled as I closed the door behind, teasing me.

Cumin really wasn't able to meet her father since she was 3 years old that time; she doesn't understand a thing. She wasn't able to feel what it's like to have a dad in her side so it made her feel like it's no big deal for her to joke around about it.

It's like I am trying to love a person I haven't met. I only love the idea of him based on how he was being described or maybe because we just expected to love our father.

I know what you're thinking why can't I just ask my mom?

Well, that is not easy; mom really doesn't want to talk about it. I don't even know how they met. She's just changing the topic every time I try.

Until one day I just stopped being curious about it.

Besides, my mom is my everything.

My brother, Thyme that time is 7 years old, so if you compare it, he's more aware about what's happening around.

He felt the pain I will never understand.

Thyme has the ideal male body all masculine and body-build, pale skin, messy spiky hair with a low fade and taller. 

In spite of Thyme's strong figure I know he is incredibly soft inside.

No doubt why he's being so emotional every time we're talking about dad.

He won the genes I know.

And basically I am his opposite: skinny, almond skin tone and short. Our relatives usually say that he got my mom's face while me, I looked more like my dad, but at least I think I am stronger emotionally speaking.

Cumin is running in the hallway of the basement where their room is located.

"Did I make it? Am I too late?" Cumin said, trying to catch her breath. 

"Late for what" Athiya said, scrolling through her FB account.

"Where's the professor? Does the class end just now?"