New Developments

I wrung out a washrag in the sink, and I hung it on its designated rack. I flinched as a heard a deafening crashing sound behind me, followed by a loud groan of frustration from Zane.

    At first I had disliked Zane, thinking him to be a stuck-up snob, but I soon realized he could actually be quite nice. In the beginning he had disliked me because he only saw me as another one of Emmalyn's hopeless "projects," but after I had proven myself to be a hard worker, he started to warm up.

    I turned around, and laughed, holding my stomach. There was a pot on the floor, and icing was splattered everywhere. Zane, who was covered in icing himself, glared at me. "Don't just stand there! Help me clean this up!"

    I couldn't move. I almost fell on the floor with how hard I was laughing. Zane groaned again, and shoved past me to grab the washrag I had just hung up.

    Then Emmalyn waltzed in, curious about all the noise that we were making. Zane froze. Emmalyn saw the mess and started laughing as well.

    "I CAN'T STAND BOTH OF YOU! HELP ME CLEAN THIS MESS UP!" Zane creamed, stomping his foot.

    I wheezed, placing my hand on Zane's shoulder. "Ok, ok, come on let's clean this up clutz."

    "Don't call me a clutz!" Zane muttered under his breath. Twisting his shoulder to escape my hand.

    I grabbed another washrag, and wet it in the sink. Then I started to wipe up the mess.

    After we had both cleaned up, it was time for the closing of the café. Emmalyn graciously gave me some money. I waved good-bye to Emmalyn as both Zane and I walked out. "See yah, Zane!" I beamed as I began to walk towards the direction of my temporary home.

    "Yep!" He gave me a quick wave, before walking away himself.

    The gray sky above slowly began to turn orange, and steadily grew darker. I kicked a soda can that someone had left in the street. I made a quick stop at a local thrift shop to purchase a hoodie, since it was started to grow colder. I frowned at how quickly it had gotten dark. The darker it is, the more dangerous it was to walk the streets of Gotham. I had to make sure to keep my guard up.

    Someone grabbed my arm as I passed a particularly dark alleyway. "Hey pretty lady!" A man began to drag me into the alleyway. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. Just my luck. I pretended to struggle, as he pulled me. "Don't worry little lady. You can trust me."

    Yes of course creepy man, I'll definitely trust you since you claimed to be trustworthy. How stupid did this guy think I was.

I reached across, and grabbed the hand that was holding my arm. I flipped him over onto his back. He made a groan of pain. I turned my mouth upwards in absolute disgust at his dirty clothing and his blackened teeth.

Yep, he was definitely high.

I rolled my eyes, and started to walk back into the street. I heard the click of a gun.

Of course the guy on drugs had a gun to back up his late night antics.

I slowly turned around, raising my hands. "Hey now, there's no need to be dramatic." I gave a little smirk at the shaky hands of the man. He wouldn't be able to shoot anything.

"Just shut up and come with me." The man threatened. He blackened teeth made me want to hurl.

I laughed. My plan was to duck close to the ground, and rush toward him, knocking him out before he could even blink, but before I could, something began to change. My vision grew slightly blurry, then it cleared. I furrowed my brow in confusion. I was much closer to the ground than normal. The man dropped his gun, wide-eyed and shaking more than before. Confuzed, I started to growl.

Wait, I started to growl?

I looked down. My yellow and black spotted paws contrasted against the dark concrete below.

Paws!?

The man completely forgotten, I looked over my shoulder. I saw my yellow and black spotted hide, long backbone, and tail.

I was a cheetah.

Maybe I had accidentally taken some hallucinogens.