New Friends

I stood in front of a small café. The tantalizing smell of coffee wafted past my nose, tempting me further inside. I could see the happy faces of a family sitting at a table, enjoying their donuts.

I shivered in the cold November air. I took a deep breath, pushing down my anxiety, and dismissing the suffocating thoughts in my mind. I tried to brush some of the dirt off of the hoodie I was wearing, trying to look more presentable. I forced my feet to move forward.

A blast of cold air hit my face as I walked inside the café. A small bell dinged, giving a pleasant sound. The smells of coffee, and baked goods flooded my senses. My mouth watered, and my stomach rumbled painfully.

I walked up to the counter, where a young man, who was about eighteen, gave me a forced smile.

"How may I help you?" He asked me. I surveyed his dirty blonde hair, and flour covered apron. I noticed several band-aids on his left hand. He was clumsy, I hoped that it meant that the manager was kind and forgiving.

I looked into his dark brown eyes. "Uh, yes," I started, shifting from one foot unto another. "I came to pick up an application." I pointed to the sign in the window asking for help.

The boy looked me up and down, with a doubtful look in his eyes. "Look," He said harshly. "I really don't think this is the best place for you to work." I could see the slight traces of a scowl grace his lips. "So, if you would be so kind to either order something or get out." He gave me a slight roll of his eyes.

I sighed, any feeling of anxiety being overwhelmed with frustration. "I'm afraid that I can't do that," I glanced at his nametag, "Zane. I have been to two other places before this, and both of them refused to even give me an application. So, if you would be so kind to either give me application, or get me your manager, because I would like to eat sometime in the near future." I allowed a hint of venom enter my voice as I challengingly met the stare of the young man.

"Zane!" I heard the voice of a woman call out. The woman in question stomped up to the counter, giving him a playful slap on the back of his head. I was slightly taken aback by the woman in question. "Go into the kitchen, and finish the pastries I was working on." She watched as the young man trudged back to where I assumed was the kitchen.

She gave me a bright smile. She looked to be around thirty. I noticed that her black hair was extremely frizzy and not well kept. "Sorry about that, Zane can be quite cranky sometimes." She tilted her head to the side. "So you're looking for a job here?" She questioned.

I nodded. "Yes, I just came to pick up an application."

She beamed. "Well then, you're hired!"

My eyes widened as I looked at her. "Pardon?" I asked, wondering if I had heard her wrong.

"You heard me!" She moved over to where several aprons were hung on the wall, and picked one that was about my size. "I'll just pay you under the table, I assume you don't have parents to give you permission?"

I blushed, and studied the scuffs on my shoes.

She hummed, handing me the apron. "Thought as much. I'll pay you at the end of the day, according to how hard you work, and if you don't work, I can fire you at any time, got it?"

I looked into her kind, blue eyes. "Yes. Thank you so much for doing this for me. I promise to work hard." I started to put the apron on.

She smiled even brighter. "Perfect. My name is Emmalyn, and yours is?"

"Yara." I responded.

She nodded in affirmation. "HEY ZANE!" She called, startling the small family that was still trying to enjoy their donuts.

A tired and frustrated young man rushed out of the kitchen.

Emmalyn gestured to me. "Please show our new employee Yara the ropes?"

The young man sighed. "Not another one of your so-called projects."

For the first time in awhile, I laughed.