" Damn, I knew you looked good in business attire but I think you rock the casual even better." Jonah chuckles as he approaches. "Hey, do you want to go get lunch? I was thinking of that diner you mentioned before, Marge's." He perches on the edge of my desk and places his pen securely above his ear. He's a rather thin guy for average height but he's not altogether bad looking. His hair is inky black and falls just to his shoulders. Golden honey eyes and a square jaw make him not so hard to look at but he is no way Jake. Not even close in comparison.

"Can't sorry. I have plans and then I have an appointment after so I don't even think I'm coming back for the rest of the day. Thank Jesus it's Friday." I can spend the rest of my weekend at home with my babies and my man. Nothing better than that.

"Hmm well. Maybe we should go to dinner sometime if you'd like. I'll even pay for your babysitter." My motions pause for a second before continuing to pack up my things. Did he just ask me out? Of course Jake was right. He's going to get such a big head over this when I tell him later.

"That would sound great but I'm actually meeting my boyfriend and father of my children for lunch today." He stands tall a little caught off guard. " Sorry I thought you knew. I talk about Jake all the time."

"Don't be sorry. It's my fault. I thought jake was one of your kids. I didn't see a ring and I assumed if their father was still around he would have you locked down by now. There's no way I'd be with a woman like you for that long without making sure you were permanently mine." Bringing my bag strap to my shoulder and sliding my phone in my back pocket I give an awkward smile.

"Yeah, well, we've been through a lot. Maybe one day we'll get married. If I let him." It sounds like a joke but we have so much farther to go that It's actually true. He eyes my face before taking his pen back out.

"No harm no foul. I still would love being your friend. Hard to find too many new ones when everyone in a small town is set in their groups already. I came in a bit late for that." He laughs nervously and looks down at his shuffling feet before touching my arm in a friendly gesture. " Better make sure he's doing you right though. Or I might just have to steal ya."

"Will do." I watch him walk off and breath a sigh of relief as I make my way out front for Jake to pick me up. He most definitely needs to make sure he treats me right. He pulls any of his old shit again I don't know if I could handle life anymore.

***

We're on the elevator to the third floor of the office building my OBGYN is and I have yet to mention Jonah asking me out to dinner. All through lunch I kept trying to figure out when the best time was to bring it up but I couldn't. Now we are in a closed elevator and once we get out of these doors and enter the office then he can't possibly be irritated anymore.

"So Jonah asked me out to dinner today after complimenting my looks in your shirt." I don't look at him but I can feel his eyes on me. " I obviously turned him down." Rocking on the balls of my heels I try to look calm. I'm exactly sure how he'll react.

" I don't want you working with him anymore. He shouldn't be asking you anything. I knew it. I knew he wanted you, I mean who wouldn't. Look at you. How'd he not know you're unavailable. Did you tell him you're single?" My mouth drops open in offense and I gape over at him.

"Seriously? I can't not work with him. I need my job and he was really cool when I turned him down. He assumed I was single because the twins are going to be five and I'm not even engaged. I'm not engaged anymore that is. I've talked about you, of course, but I don't have a label on my forehead that says Jake's on it." He goes from angry to guilty the minute I mention our previous engagement. I didn't mean to hurt him but it's true and entirely his fault we arent married right now. This pregnancy would have been happening a lot closer to their birth than it is if he hadn't done what he did.