TWENTY THREE

G.E.M.I.N.I
.

A 'stab' is a puncture wound, one that if executed with the right timing, force and velocity, can cause immediate hemorrhage in the human body...

The wound of a double edged blade- one inflicted with a weapon such as household scissors for example- tapers at the end, and can cause many more complications (see Figure D). If this is the case, the foreign object should be removed under no circumstances, until after scans had been taken and a surgeon has presented their plan of removal.

"Why are you torturing yourself?" the voice behind Sadie caused her to jump in her seat- it was Jamie Valentina, watching disapprovingly from where he stood in the doorway, holding a platter of chocolate truffles.

"I'm catching up on the recent literature," Sadie said, slamming the book shut. It was a hefty volume: Trials of Surgical Procedures for Trauma by Dr A Valentina.

Jamie sighed, putting down the platter- Sadie wolfed down four truffles in the time he took to sit beside her. As the door slowly shut, away faded the sound of children laughing, of music and magicians and barbeques sizzling. It was Sophia Valentina's ninth birthday party, and Sadie was hidden away reading textbooks. She felt like the worst godmother in the world- it was Sophia's ninth birthday and she was hidden away.

The look on Jamie's face was infuriatingly sympathetic, and in that moment, Sadie regretted ever telling him, or Adrianne, a single thing- it was probably her who'd sent the veterinarian in to speak with Sadie after all.

But she'd had to tell someone, anyone who wouldn't make excuses for her, or forgive her straight away, like Steve had. She understood, she supposed, that he was only saying what he thought she wanted to hear. But Steve Rogers was a soldier, and despite his caring heart, she knew that fighting- and sometimes killing- was part of his job description. But it wasn't part of hers.

So the Valentinas didn't make excuses, and they didn't forgive her when she didn't need it, instead only reminding her that she needed to forgive herself. Whatever that meant.

"The recent literature," Jamie repeated, raising an eyebrow. "I didn't realise you wanted to change your specialism from diagnostics to... 'surgery for traumas of the cervical spine'."

"Well, I haven't been a diagnostician in years," Sadie shrugged, helping herself to more of the truffles. "Maybe it's for good reason, but I don't treat real patients anymore- real people."

"Don't you undermine your work that way," Jamie told her. "Your patients are real."

"My patients at Stark aren't sick. They're volunteers," she sighed. "And my patients on the field are victims. And most of the time it's our fault they're hurt."

Jamie didn't say a word then, no doubt he was fully aware of the debates that had started ever since Sokovia. She wondered what his opinion on it all was, what Adrianne thought to. She couldn't bring herself to ask. The Valentinas and their children grounded her when she needed a new perspective on most things, but she didn't want a new perspective on that. Didn't know if she could bear it.

"You know little Gracie's grandad?" Sadie asked, suddenly, still wanting him to understand.

"Gracie, Sophia's best friend?"

"Yes," she nodded. "He's wearing Vermis' jacket. The exact same one- Burberry or Armani or whatever the fuck. It's maroon."

"That doesn't mean anything," Jamie said, gently.

"No, it does," Sadie said. "It means no matter his life choices, that man was a human being. Maybe he had children, maybe he had grandchildren, people in his life who are mourning. He should have stood for trial. I shouldn't have been the one to decide if he should die."