Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

Idelle's eyes were wide, her mouth open in a small, surprised circle as she fought for something to say. Lulu didn't care to give the woman any more time to try and seduce her friend. She grabbed Idelle's hand and yanked her over to the far corner of the tavern, out of reach of that wanton woman. The others were gathered at one of the larger tables there, a cordial round of Rakes, Snakes, and Drakes happening between them.

"Look who finally decided to join us," Ori glanced disapprovingly at her as Lulu forced a space for her and Idelle at the already crowded table. "Your newest conquest turn you down?"

"I'm never turned down."

"She liked me better," Idelle smirked.

Ori laughed. "Well, that's no surprise."

"Hardy-har," Lulu glared at her cousin. "So, what did you losers find, then? Anything good?"

"From what I heard today, the nobility is divided," Sahn addressed the table, his impeccable posture irking her to no end. "Most are united behind this sorceress and the king, but not a single one will speak of their alliance or their masters' plans."

"Oh yes, because bad people always like to divulge their plans so they can be ruined," Lulu rolled her eyes.

"In my experience, people in power like to brag, Mistress Lulu, especially amongst other nobility."

"Last I checked, you were some sort of assassin."

"Actually, Sahn is part of the aristocracy in Vairalais," Ori answered, reaching for a glass of wine on the table. "He's the Vicomte de Barralougne."

"Well, that ruins all of Vairalais for me," Lulu groaned as she leaned across the table and ripped the glass away from Ori. "And, you don't have your big girl trousers yet to be drinking this." With a tip of the glass in her direction, Lulu knocked back the bitter red wine, grimacing with sheer horror as she slammed the glass back down. "Oh, dear gods below, why did you order that? It's...it's so...pungent and...oh, I think it could rust through my sword in a few minutes."

"There's nothing wrong with it," Ori huffed, simply raising her hand for another glass. The bartender nodded in her direction. "I like the bitter taste, and it's perfectly acceptable for me to drink in Iskendryn."

At her side, Alistair frowned. "Is it not acceptable for you to drink in other kingdoms?"

Lulu laughed. "In Medyulana, you have to be at least two and twenty to drink alcoholic beverages. Mummy and daddy would be so displeased! Our dear Savior here is only eight and ten."

"And you clear the drinking age by, what, a year and two months or something?" Ori asked, flatly. "You're one to talk. Remember the night you snuck out and went all the way to Velloch? You got those men to buy you, what, two drinks and you were so destroyed you ended up passing out in a stable on the way home. You slept in horse poop the whole night. I'm at least responsible with my drinking."

"How old were you?" Duncan laughed, looking at Lulu.

She shrugged. "Ten?"

"You were lucky those men didn't try anything untoward after you got drunk," Ori shook her head.

"She wasn't lucky," Idelle answered quietly, but only Ori heard her. Another debt, Lulu owed Idelle, it seemed.

"So, you're all from Medyulana, then?" Alistair asked, drawing their attention.