Chapter Three

— Basan, Medyulana —

It was near evening when they finally made it home a few days later. Exhausted, hungry, and sweaty, Lulu wanted nothing more than to sink into a relaxing bath and scrub away the last few months before they began another adventure. Though she would be ready to go at a moment's notice, she knew it wasn't the same for her friend. It was hard for Idelle to be gone so long from her family, though her friend never said a word on the matter. Lulu didn't begrudge her. In fact, she was rather envious of the desire to stay in one place, to feel relief at returning home and relaxing into peaceful oblivion with the ones that loved you most.

Idelle's family was Lulu's family. Though not by blood, that did nothing to weaken the bond between Lulu and those that lived in the wilds of Basan. She loved them all, dearly. But each return didn't bring relief. It only brought the weighted reminder of failure.

Medyulana was only one of the thirteen known worlds in Ishara, but it was, by far, the most important both to Lulu and Idelle. It was here, amongst the race known as the Draaga, a towering, horned, and astoundingly strong people, that their families had settled down to find a home. Their history here was a long one, and an integral one at that. Like all the other worlds, Medyulana had once been a part of the great Valdornne Empire that had spanned the stars. The Draaga had been subjugated for centuries—until Aunt Teryn and Uncle Baloren had changed all that. It was because of that debt the Draaga owed that they had found a home lost out in the peaceful wilds of Basan, where very few would ever find them.

They were spotted the moment they crested over the hill. Lulu smiled when she saw Rhenna, her aunt's youngest child, a girl of ten years, bounding toward them in pure excitement. In the distance, she could see her Aunt Teryn and Uncle Baloren watching them from the beautiful garden they cultivated with tender care. Rost and Hadrius, twins of thirteen, were practicing their swordplay as usual with Uncle Aeric instructing them nearby, and Aunt Eleana and Aunt Gael must have been somewhere inside. The picture was a familiar one, and, in some ways, it felt as though they had never left.

"You're home!" Rhenna beamed as Lulu picked her up in her arms, swinging the young girl about. "Where did you go? What did you see? Did you bring me anything?"

Lulu laughed. "What if I just brought you this hug?"

"I'll take it!" Rhenna dragged her along toward the small cluster of houses, her small frame surprisingly strong despite her age. It was her Tor'Varyan blood.

Lulu and Idelle followed along, watching as the warm smiling faces of their family came to meet them. It was Idelle's father, Aeric, who reached them first, his long strides carrying him swiftly to his only daughter. Strong arms surrounded her, and Lulu smiled as she heard the hushed whispers of the Draagan language between them, quiet murmurs of love and relief shared in gentle earnestness. Rhenna's hand fell away, leaving Lulu face-to-face with her Aunt Teryn. Shedding her garden gloves, Teryn threw them aside and wrapped Lulu in a warm embrace. Lulu closed her eyes.

This. This felt like home.

Everyone gathered in the open plains surrounding the modest homes, all smiles and warm hugs that were impossible not to lean into. They each asked their questions in turn, all long since used to the pair's trips and subsequent returns. Their questions were followed by gifts, which Idelle produced from her magically enhanced pack, earning even more grins and a few laughs. Only when the last present was distributed and all their questions had been answered did the party begin to disperse, allowing Idelle and Lulu to have their much-needed rest and relaxation.

All except Aunt Teryn.

She remained standing in front of Lulu with those piercing honey-colored eyes of hers, a knowing glint in them making Lulu fidget absentmindedly. Teryn Ralia-Tor'Varyan, former Queen Mother of Alfheim, was Idelle's aunt by blood, but Lulu's in heart. She was her dad's best friend, and one of the few souls whose sorrow was as profound as her own at his loss.