𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔣𝔦𝔳𝔢

a/n: here's what marco/anita's outfit looks like! hair, dress, shoes, and purse all inspired by this image. enjoy the chapter!

♛ ♛ ♛

After what felt like hours of practicing, fixing makeup, and learning how to act and talk femininely, Kelsey and Avery finally believed that I had what it took to convince people that I was a girl.

As soon as we realized it was already almost 5:50, we hurried out of our dorm. I was obviously the slowest—still not one hundred percent used to walking in heels and a miniskirt—and the girls kept hissing me at me to hurry up.

After the elevator reached the bottom floor, I strutted out first, my confidence immediately diminishing as I saw the hundreds of pretty girls—and boys in their military uniforms—swarm the main lobby, mingling and meeting one another. Avery grabbed my arm, noticing I looked tense.

"You'll be fine. Just remember what we told you. Now, one foot in front of the other, hips back and forth." She murmured in my ear. A shiver traveled down my spine, but I moved forward with Avery, and she gently released my arm.

     We were swiftly guided to a table, being informed that we were nearly late. Avery took it upon herself to apologize. We were seated in alphabetical order, but they did mix boys from the military academy with the girls from the princess academy. So, since my last name is Inéz, Kelsey Ingleman sat on my left, with two boys seated between her and Avery. To my right, another boy. I glanced over at his name card on the table, which read 'Dallas Ilroy.' I looked up at the boy himself to notice he was looking at me, too. His face suddenly made an awkward expression when I caught him staring, and he brought one hand up to rub the back of his neck while he extended his other hand with an awkward chuckle.

"Oh, uh, hey! I'm Dallas." He introduced himself. I blushed, weirdly clearing my throat before once again imitating a girl to my best ability possible.

"I'm Anita," I squeaked out. "Anita Inéz."

I took his hand, and immediately the warmth of his firm grasp sent a spark shooting up my arm and filled my entire body with warmth. It was unlike anything I'd ever felt before, but it happened so fast. I found myself momentarily locking eyes with him, studying his deep, chocolate-brown eyes.

I quickly dropped his hand once I realized I had zoned out and we were sort of holding hands. Awkwardly, I shifted my gaze toward my empty plate in front of me, and heard him clear his throat. My cheeks burned with embarrassment. 'Wow. Great first impression, Marco.' I sarcastically scolded myself in my thoughts.

I turned my gaze back to him when he wasn't looking, studying his appearance. He was a dark-skinned boy, with a fade in his jet-black, curly hair. His skin was a rich, deep brown color, and I noticed that a small, leaf-shaped ear-ring dangled from his left ear. He wore the same army green uniform as all the other boys at the table, so I observed his profile instead. He had a small, but flat nose, and his lips were rather large. Soon enough, I found myself unable to take my gaze away from him until I realized what I was doing, snapping my line of sight in the opposite direction to Kelsey, who had the most smug grin you'd ever see on her face, which only made me blush even harder.

"He's cute, huh?" She whispered suggestively, an excited gleam in her eyes. My cheeks were furiously burning, and I shot her a warning glance.

"Shut up!" I hissed quietly. "I am not into him. I'm a boy!"

"Oh come on, Anita!" Kelsey said, lowering her voice even more. "I'm not an idiot when it comes to crushes and boys. You guys can't even take your eyes off of each other! I mean, don't look now, but he literally has the most dreamy look in his eyes staring right at you, girl." Kelsey looked so excited. My eyes darted in the boy's direction for a fleeting fraction of a second, and sure enough, he was staring with his head resting on one fist. I blushed, biting my bottom lip slightly without a word. Kelsey gave a sly smile. "Come on," She whispered. "If you're going to be living like a girl, you might as well have fun with it. And what better way to let loose and have fun than playing with boys?" And with that she turned her eyes to the headmistress and headmaster standing at the front of the lobby, tapping on a glass to gain everyone's attention.