Chapter 13

"GET OFF OF ME! GET OFF-"

Sounds of screaming and struggling arose. A feminine voice screamed out loudly, followed by a quieter grunt. As the lights slowly came back on, Pauline stood, a large knife through her stomach. Her gray eyes wide, she collapsed to the ground.

Laying beside her was Birdo. Her eyes were slowly closing, an expression of shock on her face. There was a knife wound on her chest.

"PAULINE!" Donkey Kong knelt down. He was covered in blood.

"I...I sav...saved you...t-this time..." Pauline smiled subtly, her hand shakily reaching up to cup Donkey Kong's cheek. "I-I-I'm so...h-happy..."

"Oh my gosh. Pauline," Donkey Kong breathed, cradling her in his arms. "No. You can't... You should have just let me die..."

"N-Never," Pauline choked, coughing up blood. "I...I..."

Her eyes darkened, her hand falling from Donkey Kong's face. Shocked, everyone watched the scene. No one had ever witnessed Pauline so emotional before.

"Wait, what just happened?"

"She...She saved me..." Donkey Kong said shakily. " She protected me.. She killed the mafia, too," He glanced over at Birdo's dead and alone body. "She's a murderer.. She killed Pauline!"

"...Somehow, I'm not even surprised that she was a mafia," Boo sighed, shaking his head. "Am I the only one?"

"But...But she helped kill Yoshi and Dixie," Toad said slowly, his eyes widening in horror. "How could she help kill someone she loved...?"

"...No, it was Bowser who shot them," Donkey Kong pointed out. "She didn't have an input on that, even if she was mafia."

"She is mafia. Confirmed. The bodyguard only kills the mafia, not town," Donkey Kong remarked. "She's lucky that Pauline granted her a quick death. I wish I could fucking kill her slowly, and as painfully as possible... Dammit Pauline! Why..."

"Pauline... Even though she was snarky, she saved someone," Bowser said wistfully. "If..No, When we make it out of here, she'll be remembered fondly."

"...W-What do you mean?" Toad asked, confused. "You don't think we'll be able to bring everyone back?"

"We got lucky the other two times. Honestly, it logically didn't make any sense," Bowser explained, shrugging. "I guess we could bring everyone back if the story of our struggle got popular enough, though. Then everyone would want more."

"What do you even mean by that?"

"If more people knew of what happened to us, then I'm sure we'd get saved somehow," Bowser shrugged. "Of course, that might mean we'd get targeted by the mafia again."

"We're getting ahead of ourselves, we're not even safe yet," Donkey Kong reminded them all. "We can't let Pauline's sacrifice be in vain. Shouldn't we focus on trying to figure out who it is?"

"Yeah, we probably should. Are we going to? Probably not," Boo rolled his eyes. "We'll all just wait around to die again. You know, I really wish I was invited to be a part of the mafia. That would be pretty cool. Not with you guys, but like, for other people? I'm a ghost. No one would ever see me."

"We're really saying he's not a suspicious person?" Luigi eyed the ghost, annoyed slightly. While he was terrified of ghosts, he was rather accustomed to the king of Boo's abnormal behavior.

"He can't be suspicious. He's a veteran, confirmed...He killed...He killed her, remember?" Toad said sadly. "...Hey, there's like barely any of us left..."

It was true. Rosalina towered over everyone, Luigi stared at a wall, Boo sneered at everyone and Bowser was standing with his hand on his chin, trying to figure everything out. Toad was watching everyone and Donkey Kong mourned over Pauline's body.

Everyone else was dead.

"...Do we have any idea who the mafia is?"

"No..." Rosalina looked away. "Why...Why would anyone want...all of us dead...?"

"I don't know. I don't even want all of you dead," Boo shrugged nonchalantly. "One of you is faking kindness. I'm confirmed good. None of y'all are."

"...Well, obviously I wouldn't want to kill my brother," Luigi pointed out, crossing his arms as he tried to dispute the blame. "Rosalina wouldn't want to either, since he saved her home. Toad wouldn't want Mario dead, and I don't think Bowser would agree to a fake friendship just to kill off Mario anyways..."

"...That still means none of us are the killers," Bowser pointed out. "We still have no leads."

"Perfect. Let's just sit here and wait to die, shall we?" Boo said sarcastically. "Personally, I think it's Rosalina. She's hardly said a word. Quiet people usually have stuff to hide."

"No, it's Bowser!" Luigi deflected the attention from Rosalina. "Come on, he was willing to shoot two of us!"

"Um, hell no! It's gotta be Toad," Bowser shook his head. "He's also quiet."

"It's not me. But maybe Luigi finally wanted some stardom," Toad said quietly. "I mean, I've seen the jealous looks..."

"...Let's...Please s..stop arguing..."

Rosalina's wish was granted.

The lights went out-

-and the arguing was replaced by screaming and groans.

hey everyone! hoco week is over, it was amazing and i had so much fun :) music was ten times better.

who do you think is the mafia?

did you feel bad for pauline?

who do you think is dead?

thanks for reading!