Chapter 12

"OH SHIT!"

"T-T-Toad," Toadette squeaked from where she lay on the ground, blood pooling from her chest. "I-I-I..."

"TOADETTE!" Toad shouted, his eyes wide in a mixture of shock, anger, fear, and sadness. He rushed over to the dying girl quickly; kneeling down by her. "NO!"

"L-L-L...ove... Y-You..."

"No, no, no," Toad desperately held her hand as her eyes closed. "Please, no! S-Stay with me! PLEASE! TOADETTE..!"

Meanwhile, Diddy lay on the ground further away from Boo. Dixie was gone, so no one was there to cry and mourn like Toad and Toadette. But Donkey Kong made his way over, crying out in despair over the loss.

"Haha! That'll show them," Boo grinned, sticking his tongue out. Everyone looked at him as if he was crazy.

"...I always forget how crazy you actually are," Bowser sighed in exasperation. "You're happy about them dying again, what a surprise..."

"Ugh, I thought it was obvious," Boo rolled his eyes, and then smirked tauntingly once again. "I'm the veteran, and I just killed someone who tried to come for me! Look, we took out another mafia!"

"No...T-Toadette...Toadette wouldn't do that," Toad whispered softly, his eyes wide. "I'm positive she wouldn't! She loved everyone, she wouldn't have ever wanted to kill us all!"

"Well, she tried to. It's not the first time a lover tried to kill their so called loved one," Boo shrugged. "Sorry Toad. It's just the truth."

"B-B-But-"

"Toadette was so nice!" Luigi protested. "That's crazy..."

"She was trying to kill us!" Donkey Kong crossed his arms. "She was putting up a front. I'm sorry to say it."

"B-But... She was probably the nicest person here," Birdo said uncertainly. After all, they'd been somewhat close friends. "Maybe even nicer than Mario or Peach."

"Uh, I don't know about that..."

"But she was so nice!"

"...T-The veteran can kill town and mafia..." Rosalina said, reminding them of the roles purpose. "Perhaps..."

"In that case, maybe Toadette was an innocent role. Doctor, maybe?" Pauline guessed. "Or bodyguard. Or she could have really been the mafia. Wait, Boo... How many people did you say you killed?"

"Uh.. Only Toadette?"

"Then the mafia killed Diddy!" Toad said, enraged that anyone would even suggest Toadette was a murderer. Tears streamed down his face as he grieved. "If the mafia killed someone, then they obviously weren't the ones who attacked the veteran. Come on, now. Why would Toadette kill anyone...?"

"...It doesn't really matter," Donkey Kong stood from where he'd knelt by Diddy's body. "She's dead... And so is Diddy. The best we can do is try to survive..."

"...Why are these mafia out to get me...? What did I do..?" Toad whimpered slightly. "Everyone I cared about... Peach... Mario... Toadette..! When will this end!?"

"...The mafia are a lot more put together. They're really smart by taking out all the leaders," Pauline observed. "Except for Bowser. But does he even really count?"

"Hey! What does that mean?" Bowser frowned. He thought he'd done a rather good job of leading in Mario's absence. He wasn't a king for nothing! Hearing someone discredit him annoyed him greatly.

"Oh, please," Birdo scoffed, regaining her natural skepticism once again. "You failed every single time you kidnapped Peach! Your minions were awful. I'm not sure how much of a threat you even posed."

"Wh-I got rid of one mafia earlier!" Bowser responded indignantly.

"And you killed an innocent while doing so. I don't think we can consider you a good leader," Birdo shook her head in annoyance. "...You killed Yoshi...How would we consider you a good leader?"

"...Birdo, I'm sorry about that-" Bowser tried to reason with her, but was cut off.

"You can have your sentiments later, we're wasting time!" Pauline snapped, not because she was angry, but because they were in a complicated, deadly situation. They couldn't afford to waste any time. "We need to find the mafia. There will be time to mourn later!"

While Boo and a couple others agreed with her, others were not quite so satisfied with the deaths of everyone. Rosalina and Luigi looked at each other, unsettled, while Toad mourned by Toadette's body.

"...Well? Do we have any suspicion as to who the mafia is?"

"...We might have had some if someone hadn't killed our cop," Birdo muttered.

"Look, if you're going to keep bringing it up-"

"ENOUGH!" Pauline snapped, tired and annoyed. "Stop arguing. We're getting nowhere. So just shut up and let me think."

Her sentiments were shared, and everyone remained quiet. Luigi carefully made his way over.

"...I don't want to die," Luigi said softly, so quiet that only his intended audience could hear him. The platinum blonde dressed in sky blue turned to him, her wide, innocent eyes staring at him.

"Me neither..." She replied, watching as he slowly grasped her hand. "...We're... g-going t-to... make it through, Luigi..."

"...You're right," He said, looking her straight in her crystal blue eyes. "I won't let you die."

The lights flickered slowly

and then died out.

hey everyone! i really hope you enjoy this. it's homecoming week so i worked really hard to get an update out :)

question(s) of the chapter: who are the mafia? cop? nurse? bodyguard? veteran?

was toadette evil?

thanks for reading!