18 - Silbyonite - @J_V_I_ - Post-CyberPunk

Silbyonite

by J_V_I_

Chapter 1

Tempus fugit

The Cybernetic Implant Building recreation floor had an spectacular view of the city. Glazed all the walls and half of its roof, gave the impression of being outdoors. Its protective screen prevented the rays of the red dwarf that gave life to the planet Blhekj to reheat the metal prostheses, which allowed Sheemha and Kmjarz to enjoy their lunch hour. Both women also took advantage of it to chat animatedly.

When Kmjarz removed the lid of the dessert bowl, her metallic fingers seemed to vibrate with a buzz, make her winced.

" I will have to advance maintenance, these buzzes are quite painful. When is yours? We could go together. "

" I did it last month, they gave me five years from now for the next, luckily mine don't give me troubles, " Sheemha replied, changing immediately to a serious expression.

" Surely you are thinking about Xjiert, you should stop worrying so much about him, that's affecting you emotionally. "

" I'm sorry, but I don't believe that his spinal cordlitys* prevents him from treating his implants. It's unfair that he must die so young! " She dropped a tear from her unique biological eye.

*Spinal cord illness condition, which prevents reconnection of cyber prosthesis and degenerates painfully over time when used, until death.

" He had bad luck having such a rare condition, but we can't do anything for him. Although maybe you do, you have to tell him what you really feel, " suggested Kmjarz.

Sheemha rested her face on her silver palm, the buzzing of the prostheses of the remaining diners scattered on the floor broke the silence. A particular sound then caught her attention, was the unmistakable drag of Xjiert's foot. She quickly wiped the tear from her face before turning her eyes.

The inability to improve Xjiert's leg prostheses made him walk this way. Although he was not prevented, the stiffness of his right leg made him move very slowly. Sheemha forced herself to change to a cheerful expression welcoming him. Kmjarz invited him to sit with them.

" I figured you'd be having lunch here. "

" You should come more often, " Sheemha invited.

" The truth is, I would not be very comfortable listening to girls conversations, " he smiled.

" We haven't seen each other for a long time, " Kmjarz said, " since I don't have Sheemha's luck to work with you, I don't know how your implant improvement research continues. "

" Despite being so many hours a day working together I think I'm not very aware of your progress either, " Sheemha observed.

" It's not fair to say that, Sheemha! " he complained, " your help in what I investigate is really important. Although I confess to being guilty of being too reserved. "

" You should take advantage of reversing that, and tell Sheemha more beautiful things. "

" ¡Kmjarz! " Sheemha complained.

"Maybe that's why I decided to come here, although it is not something very nice what I have to say. "

" What do you mean? " Sheemha asked worriedly.

"As of today, from now on, I will be assigned to a secret research project. That will take me a while and I will swap location to a new laboratory. "

The news fell like a bucket of cold water on both women.