29 - The First Arrivals - @JaneQuill28 - Apocalyptic

The First Arrivals

By JaneQuill28

"The central Hub is responding to the pull from the wandering planet!" Boku watched from the watchtower, pounding his gnarled fist on the window. The hub rested in the mud of the Eniky River as the wandering planet, Nomad, summoned the relic from its watery grave.

"Yes, husband," Tiraz replied, calculating when the hub would emerge and could be examined.

"The King will reward me with anything I want. You will share that reward."

"The King is generous," Tiraz said, diplomatically. "Nomad returns every hundred years. Each return the hub lifts farther from the mud."

"If only this time the Hub would fall out of the Eniky! I would be a hero! The Command Hub of the First Arrivals. We could contact them with the information we learn from the Hub.

"The First Arrivals. The Origin Party says they are not our ancestors, but aliens who came to, to conquer, settle, harvest, rob us. They do not look for their lost ship, and the descendants of its survivors. The Origen Party says the aliens were invaders who our true ancestors destroyed, leaving only the Hub buried deep in the Eniky. If these aliens return, for what reason? Were they our ancestors? Or aliens, friendly or otherwise?"

Boku twisted to face Tiraz, who flinched and tried to pull away from her mate. His hard, bony, fingers pinched her cheek till she whimpered. I would ask to be separated from Boku, if that is not too much to hope for. She had been ordered to mate with him, not Nofred, her chosen.

"Are you an unbeliever, Tiraz? Shall I report you to the priests for heresy?"

"The Origin Party is allowed by the King as loyal opposition, Boku. His Majesty himself ordered us to check all theories."

Boku released her cheek, and rubbed it hard, sneering.

"Thank you for reminding me. You were well chosen as my mate. My last mate did not have your abilities or your charms." Her stomach cramped, but she fought the nausea down. She envied his former mate, now free.

"Have you nothing to say, Tiraz, my mate? I complimented you."

"Thank you, my mate. You are thoughtful to think highly of me."

"What do your calculations say?" Boku leaned forward, eyes glistening. "Will the Hub emerge and reveal its secrets?"

"New data, Boku. Let me enter it." Tiraz added the new data, and waited for the results. She doubled-checked the numbers. The nausea rose again and she vomited as she realized the future was rushing in for a collision with the present. She wiped her mouth.

"Emergence will be 1630 hours, three days hence."