71 - Shambhala, the Lost Paradise - @HC_Leung - Space Opera

Shambhala, the Lost Paradise

By HC_Leung

Once upon a time, there was a planet named Shambhala. Located on the galaxy's edge, it was a mountainous and barren land. The gray dirt, which roamed for miles, had never nurtured life. Even as the human race settled across the Perseus Arm, this lonely globe of rocks remained serene and calm.

That was until the Dalits came. They were from the Empire's lowest caste, fleeing from religious persecution which had already killed trillions. Unbathed for years, they crash-landed on Shambhala with hope and despair.

The first week was full of surprises. The sky was often gray, filled with soot and fog. They also saw two suns - one larger than the other - and realized this place orbited the binary stars in a figure-eight pattern. Whenever the white giants draw near, Shambhala would jump from one orbit to another.

Which had the Dalits worried. This three-body movement was inherently chaotic; the dance should not have lasted for so long.  But based on the planet's latest orbital speed, Shambhala might miss the next Switchover. If so, the planet would end up drifting in space forever.

Nevertheless, the Dalits carried on. They worked the land and constructed their homes. As adept miners, they discovered water inside the rocks and made the most out of every drop. Life was hard, no doubt. But the Dalits shed no tears. They were resilient. They were free from the Empire.

The Switchover remained in their minds. They did not want their life's labor lost to some cosmic accident. So even though the next event was not due for another hundred years, the Dalits decided to act.

The Chief summoned her scientists. They discussed various options and settled on a plan. A bold plan. A plan that would involve them, their descendants, and their descendants' descendants.

Ships mothballed after the Exodus were refurbished into service. Those old, tired asteroid mining trawlers hauled earth out of the atmosphere and released them into space. By doing so, the Dalits hoped to reduce Shambhala's mass little by little, so it could orbit faster for the next Switchover.

The practice required faith. Indeed, it persisted for the next ninety years. Whenever Dalitian farmers see the trawlers flying over their paddy fields, they were reminded of the Chief's promise that Shambhala would become a paradise. The fruits of their labor would bless their descendants.

Aliessa Toumi thought differently. To her, this planetary weight loss program was nothing but a waste of time. Think about it. If God wanted this planet gone, nothing could change his mind. And why would he? God forced the Dalits to flee halfway across the Galaxy. He did not love them.

It was apparent, at least to her, that one must rely on her own strength. It was the only way to break free from the past. Aliessa looked at the sky, hazy with the suns hung high like an angel's eyes. Born and raised on Shambhala, she knew nothing about the blue oceans and green mountains told in her lullabies. But she knew her life belong out there, somewhere beyond the pale light.

Her radio handset crackled into life. "Ali, come in."

Aliessa frowned with annoyance. She tucked her long, wavy hair back and replied, "Yes, mother."

"Why aren't you at the clinic? Are you atop the hill daydreaming again?"

"No," said Aliessa. "I was just taking a break. Coming back now."

"I asked you to do one thing, Ali. One thing! All you had to do was to stick around and help the nurses. Why is it so difficult for you?"

"It was just a break, mother. It's not a big deal."