Chapter Twenty-Three

The next morning, or what I thought was the next morning, I could barely move

The next morning, or what I thought was the next morning, I could barely move. I turned my head enough to see Alianna sleeping in a chair near my bed, but I didn't want to wake her. Blood stained my sheets in places and my back was burning. My arm was a vivid purple, but I could move it a little.

The sun was barely rising, yet I knew Alianna would wake up soon. I was sure of it. Waking up when the sun rose was something all servants had drilled into them. I still woke up far earlier than I had before I left Rosewood.

As I lay there, I tried not to think of the pain. I tried to imagine what Ziva was doing, and I realized I hadn't written to her in a while. I had gotten so caught up with what was happening to me that I hadn't stopped to think about anyone else.

That was something I needed to change.

Alianna drew my attention as she began to stir. For a moment, she looked around the room, confused as to why she was there. We made eye contact, and she swiftly got up.

"How are you feeling Tayna?"

"I don't know." I groaned. "My back hurts, but my arm is a little better I think. I can move it. Where is everyone?"

"Your uncle left to check on Livton Holdings. We didn't know where you were so we asked around. One of the footmen saw him dragging you to the basement level, and from there it didn't take long to find you. Lord Livton said he needed a break from Rosewood for a bit, and since he'll lose Rosewood when you inherit it, he'll take Livton Holdings back from Oliver anyways. I'm going to clean your back again. The physician should be here sometime today and Oliver will probably be here tomorrow afternoon."

I nodded as she grabbed a rag sitting next to a new bucket of water. The kitchens must've brought it up earlier today. She began to trace the cuts, getting any remainder of blood off.

"I need to clean it with alcohol. I didn't do it last night, but we can't have you getting infected." She tugged on the bellpull. "I'm sorry. This will hurt."

"Don't be sorry, you're helping me so much. Thank you." I shifted on the bed a little, attempting to become as comfortable as possible.

A maid opened the door, trying to be quiet as she moved towards Alianna.

"How is the lady?" It was the same maid who had come up yesterday with the water.

"A bit better. Can you bring me some of the strongest liquor and some of the cook's bruise tincture?" A few seconds later, the door shut. We sat in silence for a while before the maid came back. I was trying to prepare myself for the pain I was about to feel. I often used to have my wounds disinfected, and it had never been pleasant.

"Are you ready?" Alianna stood over me, holding the dark bottle.

"Yes, let's get it over with."

I buried my head into my pillows and tried to relax. This would be over soon.