Part 4

Kerr held the briefcase in front of him like a shield, eyes flinching with anticipation as he tip-toed through the Portal opening. He didn't know what to expect.

Nothing happened. He sighed. It had been like going through a doorway. He lowered the briefcase and let his eyes relax, feeling foolish.

Johansson smiled and shook his head. "Look at this guy, he was expecting dragons and fairies... Douche bag."

Kerr ignored him, surveying his surroundings. There were no vehicles anywhere he could see. It was a parking structure, but right now it was abandoned. Cam lights in the ceiling created circles in the pavement, stretching off in all directions. All around was a sea of concrete columns and white lines. It could have been any time of the day or night. Kerr rubbed an arm. This place was a cold tomb.

Major Blanc spoke up, her voice echoing, "It's a nice, crisp February morning." She sucked in a breath, nostrils flaring. "Smell that oil and stale air." She smiled at Johannson and Murphy.

Behind him, he heard the footsteps of Colonel Braun and Bob Ravensdale. Kerr realized he hadn't moved very far past the edge of the Portal, so he moved what felt like a reasonable distance away.

Bob took a position by the open Portal, limping against his cane. He bowed his head. As Kerr watched, the image of the Time Dock faded through the opening, covered with white light until it was erased. The Portal remained open to The Passage—that place between time—but it was no longer attached to the future—where they had been.

Closed from the other end, it was now a portal to nowhere. No one else would be joining them. Further, they were trapped on this end. None of them could leave without Ravensdale. Kerr knew the logistics, but he was now feeling the claustrophobic weight of that fact. Ravensdale's body was under an enormous amount of strain. What if he had a sudden heart attack? How long would it take to send a rescue operation? He stared into the light of the open Portal—into the passage between time—and let his eyes unfocus. The unknown that was 1993 started to make him feel queasy.

"Let's get moving," growled Braun, bringing Kerr back.

Major Blanc inclined her head, blonde curls swaying with the motion. Murphy and Johansson moved in that direction, guns at the ready. They moved easy, with their legs half-bent to absorb the sound of their steps.

Major Blanc turned her body and followed behind. She still didn't seem concerned about hiding herself. She walked with casual grace, like she was strolling through a park.

Colonel Braun marched behind them with strong steps. His gun was still at his side, but he had an angry look. That gun might as well have been drawn. Braun looked ready to do his duty

There was no sign of Hendrikson. Kerr felt invisible eyes watching him. He imagined the dark man crouching like a ninja behind the next column—or hanging from the ceiling. Hendrikson seemed like the perfect man to be watching their backs. Still, Kerr swallowed hard.

He took another look at the Portal and the whiteness beyond. Bob watched him with glittering eyes. "It's good to see you again, old friend."

Kerr wasn't sure what to say. He both envied and pitied Bob. He marveled at the things that Bob must have seen over the last decade while he traveled through time. With a blink, he realized that he had let too much silence pass without replying. This was awkward.

"You, too," said Kerr, returning the smile.

Bob watched him, his wet eyes blinking.

Kerr continued, "You made it! You're a Keeper. That's exciting, right?"